Hopelessly confused-I need help with handwarmer pattern

I have such a mental block when it comes to understanding written directions. :wall:

I just finished knitting the cuff part of the handwarmer. The next section of the pattern has me stumped. :?? It reads:

At BOR, K2tog, knitting the decrease onto previous/last DPN (or slipping it back there after knitting together). This starts the thumbhole. (We will knit back and forth “flat” on DPN’s for 8 rows now.) Turn.

I understand the part that says "At BOR, K2tog, knitting the decrease onto previous/last DPN (or slipping it back there after knitting together)" , but the part that comes after that has me totally confused.

Can someone who understands that explain it to me, and hopefully as if you were speaking to a kindergartner. :help:

After you k2tog, you’ll start knitting flat, or back and forth, instead of in the round. You turn your work and purl (if it’s stockinette) back around to the end of the row. Later on, you’ll cast on or increase for the stitches you decrease.

sut

So, the needle that I just moved the decrease stitch to (which was needle no. 3 as I was knitting in the round) is the one I’m going to turn and knit back and forth on…just that needle?

Yes, you’ll use that needle… and others if that’s what the pattern says. What’s the next bit of instructions?

sue

What’s the next bit of instructions?

I’m so glad you asked! :mrgreen:

Row 1: Slip 1 as if to purl, move yarn to back.
K1, P3, repeat between ** until you have 2 st left, K1, P1, turn.

Row 2: Slip 1 as if to purl, move yarn to front.
P1, K3, P1 rep between ** until you have 1 st left, K1, turn.

I am :hair:

First of all, the pattern writer doesn’t specify how many sts to have on each needle. The pattern is more of a formula. We are to have multiples of 4 sts on each needle.

With the extra st (the K2tog from previous step) added to that needle, I have 17 sts. When I follow the steps of Row 1, I don’t end up with 2 sts if I complete the pattern of K1, P3 across.

For instance, I’ve K3, P1 across until I have 4 sts remaining. I’m not sure what to do there. Do I just K1, P1, then do that final step of that row of “K1, P1”, and turn? Am I as clear as mud? :??

It doesn’t matter how many stitches you have on each needle as long as they’re not falling off. Knit across the first needle, then the second, etc. You’re not just knitting off one needle (I think) but all the way to the `end’ of the row, which is where you stopped knitting in the round so you can knit flat. If you just keep going till that point, you should end up with the right number of stitches at the end of the row.

Got it?

sue

In the last step (before starting the thumb part), it said:

At BOR, K2tog, knitting that decrease onto previous/last DPN (or slipping it back there after knitting together). This starts the thumbhole. (We will knit back and forth "flat on DPN’s for 8 rows now).

How can I bet knitting on all three needles if I’m now knitting “flat” back and forth? :??

You can knit with dpns flat the same as you do in the round, but the stitches won’t be joined together. Knit off the first needle, then take the empty needle and knit the second needle, then knit off the third needle. Turn and knit back.

Are you there yet, or just trying to figure it out in your head? Once you’re at that point, just try it - it’ll be easier than trying to visualize it.

sue

Yes, I’m at that point, and was sort of paralyzed, afraid to go forth. I’m starting to get tired now, and things are certainly more difficult to wrap my brain around when it’s late, so I am going to put this away until morning, then I’ll follow your instructions. I really appreciate your help! :hug:

You’re quite welcome Renna, that’s what we’re all here for - helping each other.

Time for me to go beddybye too… See you in the morning. :wink:

sue

Sue, I reallly had planned on going straight to bed last night, after you talked me through that next step of the pattern, but…I just couldn’t resist taking a stab at it. I stayed up (way too late) and finished the one handwarmer. :thud:

Today, I look like this :zombie: , but I’m so happy that now that I know what I’m doing, I can whiz through the other handwarmer, and go on to make some more for Christmas presents.

Again, thank you so much for your help! :cheering:

Yay! We all win! :happydance:

sue