Help!

Hi there,

I’m new to the forum and fairly new to knitting and was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem:

I’m knitting a bag with ‘bobbles’ for a Christmas present and the pattern is as below -

Rows 1-4 Stocking stitch
Row 5 Knit 3 Make Bobble [knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, purl 1 and [U][B]knit 1 all into next stitch[/B][/U] , turn, purl 5, turn, knit 5, turn, purl 2 tog, purl 1, purl 2 tog, turn, knit 3] … etc

I have gathered from other websites that ‘turn’ actually means turning the piece through 180 degrees, however my question is what happens to the trailing bit of wool (attached to the ball you’re working from) as it is on the ‘wrong’ side.

I also would like to know if anyone knows what “knit 1 all into next stitch” means - I don’t understand it.

I’d be really grateful for any help anyone can give me.

Thanks,

K

You do this - [knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, purl 1 and knit 1 all into next stitch ] exactly as it says, kpkpk, 5 sts all in one stitch. Then turn your work so the back is facing you, purl those 5 sts, turn again to the front side, k the 5 sts, turn to the back again and purl 2 tog, p1, p2tog (now you have 3 sts). Turn again and knit those 3 sts then whatever it says to do next.

Yep, you’ll be making 5 sts from 1, as Suzeeq said. Also, when you turn, it’s the same as turning at the end of a row. You don’t notice as much, but the yarn position is the same, it just looks different since you’re in the middle of the row.

Hope this helps you some!