Help with sleeve increase

Hi everybody,

I’m working on the sleeves on a sweater pattern. This particular pattern has a 12 row repeat that I’m supposed to do 7 times. I start with 51 stitches and I’m supposed to end with 79 stitches (so an increase in 28 stitches).

The problem I’m having is the pattern says to do increases on both ends of the needle on the 5th and following 4th rows, however, that will end up being more than the 28 stitches I’m supposed to be increasing. I’ve never knitted a sweater before, so maybe I’m reading it wrong. Is there something I’m missing? I’ve linked the pattern below if you want to take a look at it. Thank you!

Hi and welcome!
Do the increases on row 5 and then every 4 row. That’ll be increases on rows 5, 9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37, 41, 45, 49,53 and 57.
Thanks very much for including the pattern link. It’s such a help to see it. Enjoy the knitting.

Thanks for the response! That makes sense to me, but then I have a question about what comes over that. I’m supposed to increase 2 stitches over that 12 row repeat 7 times (meaning 84 rows) until there are 79 stitches then later I would start increasing stitches after during a stockinette stitch potion until there are 95 stitches. If I just do the increases until row 57, there’d be a large portion of the pattern without any increases (rows 57-92). Would that make the sleeve turn out strangely or is it normal to have a section in the middle without increases?

It’s a bit unusual to have the sleeve increase that way, you’re right. What you often see is that the sleeve increases are more spaced out as you knit closer to the shoulder. If you’d like you can continue with the increases every 6th row during the pattern stitch and into the stockinette. It’s really up to you.