Help with sleeve in 2 different colors

Hi all. I’m knitting a cardigan with 2 different colors. I’m on the sleeves and have knit the pattern to the desired size. I’ve just cast off 6 stitches and began decreasing. I’m noticing though that the yarn is crossing over at the opening where the cast off occurred and I’m not sure what to do here. Usually I can figure things out and work around them but I have no idea what to do! Do I keep going and eventually cut the cross over strands? That seems like a really bad idea.

Here is part of the pattern where I’m having trouble:

Work diagram and increase 1 st on each side of the marker every 2 1⁄2cm until you have 54 sts.
Include the new sts in the pattern. Continue until sleeve measures 27 cm, or desired length.
Cast off 6 sts under the middle of the sleeve (= marked sts + 2 sts at each side of the marked sts). Continue with diagram and decrease another 2,2,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,4 sts at the beginning of each row.
Cast off the remaining (8) 8 (10) 10 (10) sts.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I’m attaching a picture.

Can you please tell us the name of the pattern and provide a link if you can find one? Even if it’s a purchased pattern or in a book it helps us to see the pattern. Don’t post the pattern here due to copyright issues. Just a link.

Is it ok if I screenshot part of the pattern? I just have a pdf of it.

I’ll post some of the pattern:

Work diagram and increase 1 st on each side of the marker every 2 1⁄2cm until you have 54 sts.
Include the new sts in the pattern. Continue until sleeve measures 27 cm, or desired length.
Cast off 6 sts under the middle of the sleeve (= marked sts + 2 sts at each side of the marked sts). Continue with diagram and decrease another 2,2,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,4 sts at the beginning of each row.
Cast off the remaining (8) 8 (10) 10 (10) sts.

You’re knitting the sleeve in the round but once you bind off the 6sts for the underarm, you will need to knit back and forth on the remaining sts. That way there won’t be any long strand of carried yarn across the bind off.

Oh my gosh thank you! I feel like that’s so obvious!! This pattern is a little withholding in certain spots. Thank you for your help!!

1 Like