Help with Pattern

Hi I have a question about this Doily I’m confused about row 14. The part I’m confused about is

(K1 [P1,K1] 4 times) all in next yo.

How do I do all of that in 1 yarn over? If I could be told exactly what to do that would be great! I’m assuming the pattern means K1, [P1, K1], K1, [P1, K1], K1, [P1, K1], K1, [P1, K1]. Is that correct? If so then why does it say “all in the next yarn over because that couldn’t all fit into 1 yarn over. Thanks!

This is a large increase in a stitch. It works out to:
K1, p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1 all in the yarn over.
Only the sts in brackets are repeated 4x.

It’s similar to this video. Here the multiple sts are worked into a stitch. You’ll be working into a yarn over which is slightly easier and of course you’ll be working multiple times into the yarn over.

Here’s also a flatter variation which uses a yarn over (k1, yo) in place of the purl part of the increase. The result is less bulky than the k1p1.

1 Like

Okay thanks! So all in one stitch I do knit 1, then don’t slip the stitch off the needle, then purl 1, then don’t slip the stitch off the needle, then knit 1 and pull the stitch off? Then I purl one without slipping off the needle then I knit 1 and slip it off the needle? Then I repeat that 3 more times? Is that correct?

You’re going to k1, p1, k1, p1, k1,p1,k1,p1,k1 all into the single yarn over. Don’t slip the original yarn over off the left needle until you’ve got 9 new loops over the right hand needle. You’ll be making 9sts out of one stitch or an increase of 8sts.

1 Like

Okay that makes sense! Thank you so much!!

1 Like

Wow, unless that YO was a (YRN) n times in the last row that sounds like a big stretch for one YO loop to fit 9sts.

I think I would prefer crocheting over knitting doilies.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a stretch. That’s partly why I included the k1, yo, k1, yo, etc alternative. It’s much less bulky and probably will lie flatter.