Help with pattern

My pattern is telling me to yfwd, s1, k1, psso, I seem to decreasing my stitches is that right?!

Yes, that is right.

The s1, k1, psso will decrease one stitch but the yfwd is a yarn over so that will increase one stitch. The total stitch number won’t change across the yfwd, s1, k1, psso.

Thank you, my pattern does say S1 knit wise, does it make a difference that I’ve been S1 purl wise?

I would have interpreted yfwd as “yarn forward between the needles” and yo as “yarn over”. Written patterns are so confusing, especially if there is no picture that one can reverse engineer from.

The informal rule is to slip knitwise in a decrease. In all other cases, slip purlwise.

Yfwd is confusing. British patterns tend to be more specific (yfwd, yrn) than American patterns which just call everything yarn overs. Sometimes it does mean bring the yarn to the front between the needles and slip sts but there’s usually a yarn back somewhere close by.

In this case, you want the decrease and increase to balance each other (Row 5 or Row 7).

2 Likes