Help with Neck Shaping

I am working on my first sweater in a basic stockinette. The pattern states…

Working both sides at the same time with separate skeins of yarn, at each neck edge bind off 3 sts 2 times, 2 sts 4 times…

Do I have to break off the yarn for each row and reattach? This seems like a pain. Do I begin the bindoff with 6 sts? And since it asks me to do more than one row this way, do I do the bind off in only knit rows or in knit and purl rows. I have been known to make things much more difficult than they really are. Am I doing that here?

Thank you so much.

Ganea

Working both sides at the same time with separate skeins of yarn, at each neck edge bind off 3 sts 2 times, 2 sts 4 times…

You use separate skeins of yarn because the shoulders are separate. I assume that you’ve done some kind of neck bind off or put them on holders, whatever the pattern said. Your original skein should be already attached. You’ll need to attach a ball for the other shoulder, but only once.

They want you to bind off three stitches at the neck edge on two rows, then two stitches on each of 4 rows.

Since you can only bind off the neck stitches at the beginning of the row, just bind of when you’re starting at the neck edge.

So on the right shoulder of the sweater–the right side as you would wear it–you would bind off the three stitches, finish the row. Work back. bind off the next three, finish the row, work back. Bind of two, finish the row, etc.

On the other shoulder, you still bind off only at the neck edge, but you will be doing it on the purl side if you did the first shoulder on the knit side.

To start I do know you use 2 balls of yarn one for each side and leave them attatched to their side. This is the way I understand the rest. You bind off at the neck edge whenever you get to it in whatever stitch you are using at the time, then turn your knitting and stitch across without decreasing, only decrease at the neck edge row. Only decrease on the same type of row each time (knit or purl) This is the order of the decreasing rows

Dec row 1: dec 3 st
Dec row 2: dec 3 st
Dec row 3: dec 2 st
Dec row 4: dec 2 st
Dec row 5: dec 2 st
Dec row 6: dec 2 st

This is the way I would do it. If someone knows differently please chime in. I don’t want to confuse anyone.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! This has helped tremendously! I get it!! :happydance:

Ganea

Your welcome. I am glad something makes sense today. :smiley: