Help with knitting through the back loop on Kim Hargreaves pattern

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question!

I am relatively new to knitting and have a question on a Kim Hargreaves pattern that I am attempting. It basically calls for knitting through the back loop straight after casting on. This is the very first row of the pattern and I am stuck on it :aww:

I am wondering if it has to do with the wool that I am using as it is quite stiff (I am using Rowan which is what the design calls for though). I am using 8 mm needles, again as required.

The problem I am having is that the tension is too tight so I can only knit one stitch through the back loop and then am unable to proceed any further!

Am I missing something really obvious? I undid my casting on and started again much more loosely but I still have the same problem. I can only do one stitch tbl and then I end up with both needles really close together and not enough room to knit another stitch tbl.

Could this be because I am not using the right casting on method (I heard there are several ways of casting on)?

The pattern instructions are as follows:
BACK
Cast on 53 (55: 59: 61: 65: 69) sts using 8 mm needles.
Row 1 (RS): (K1 tbl) 1 (0: 0: 1: 1: 1) times, *P1 tbl, K1 tbl, rep from * to last 0 (1: 1: 0: 0: 0) st, (P1 tbl) 1 (0: 0: 1: 1: 1) times.

I am doing the smallest size so am casting on 53 sts.

Any help would be gratefully received! :inlove:
I can’t wait to knit this but I am stuck on row 1 :yay: :wink:

Hi and welcome!
Which cast on are you using? It may be that it’s too tight and another cast on, maybe a long tail would work better. Another possiblity is to cast on using a larger size needle and work the first row with the size you need in the pattern.
Depending on the next row, you might also be able to knit and purl these sts as usual, through the front loop, and then continue with the pattern as written, working through the back loops.
Which pattern are you making? Can you give us the name or a link to it?

While you’re figuring out the tight stitches problem - you say you’re using the yarn and needles called for in the pattern. Did you swatch for gauge? Depending upon what you’re making - a link would be ever so helpful, or at least the name as salmonmac asks - it could be very important.

First of all, thank you so much for your answers Salmonmac and GrumpyGramma! :hug:

The pattern is from one of Kim Hargreaves book called ‘Storm’. The name of the particular piece I’m looking to knit is ‘Stomp: Body textured jacket with cosy collar’. You can see a picture of the finished piece on her website: http://www.kimhargreaves.co.uk/view-books/storm/#jp-carousel-asg-hack

I knitted two gauge squares. The first one was too lose so I tried again. With the second one, I managed to get the correct number of stitches per 10 cms though not the correct number of rows per 10 cms. (I actually ended up with a few more rows than I should have. I was a bit surprised because I read that if you manage the correct number of stitches, you normally end up with the right number of rows too. So I will have to decide whether I want to try to correct that by adapting the pattern instructions or whether I just knit as normal and hope for the best). So in summary the tension on my second piece of gauge was tighter than what I would have instinctively knitted but it is roughly conform to the instructions.

The cast on method I used is the one taught by Aneeta Patel in her book for absolute beginners. I think that it is called the ‘basic two needle cast on’. Thank you for recommending the long tail method, I am going to try it and learn something new in the process so I’m looking forward to it. :knitting:

I will also try the suggestion to use a bigger size needle for the cast on. It will certainly help me when trying to cast on more loosely as it will feel less contrived.

Finally thank you for suggesting to knit an additional row before starting. It’s good to know that one can be creative with one’s knitting and deviate a little from the instructions without messing the whole piece up! :thumbsup:

Very good looking jacket. Good for you for being an adventurous knitter.

Row gauge often doesn’t matter since you knit to a given measurement most of the time rather than a certain number of rows. I invariably get stitch gauge without row gauge.

Well they do say it is suitable for the knitter with a little experience. We shall see!
Thank you for your help Salmonmac!