Help with "keeping continuity of pattern"

Hi,

Struggling with a Sirdar pattern.

I have just finished a section of 16 rows that patterned the cardigan and have now reached the following…

“From 1st to 16th row sets st-st and patt panels.
Keeping continuity of patt as set (throughout) cont until back measures 17cm, ending with a ws row”

I have no idea what the first sentence is trying to tell me!
The second sentence I assumed to mean keep repeating the 16-row pattern, but the first sentence mentioned st-st and this has thrown me off (because I thought this was simply knit one row, purl one row…without all the fancy patterning)

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Sounds like there are panels with a pattern of some sort and areas of stotckinette stitch. Continue the stockinette areas as you have been doing (you’re right, knit one row, purl one row) and the panels (a 16row repeat). There must be some areas of knit on the front, purl on the back, perhaps between the pattern panels.
What Sirdar pattern is it?

It’s from Sirdar, The Essential Baby Book 273, design C. I’m struggling with the pattern on the whole, but it’s the first Sirdar I’ve ever done so think I’m just struggling to get used to the format.

It started with 8 rows of rib and then went straight into this 16-row pattern. Would a pattern that consists of a knit row followed by purl row (even if these rows have embellishments eg. k2tog) still be considered st-st? Or does it have to be straight up knit and purl?

http://www.ethknits.co.uk/Sirdar/Patterns/sirdar-273.htm

On this page it is the photo in the top right.

A few k2togs or yo’s on a stockinette stitch background is still basically stockinette. Sirdar has its own way with patterns and I think they’re not always as straightforward as they could be.

Yes I’ve found that! Thanks for you help. I’ll keep going with the pattern and see how it turns out.

Very sweet pattern. Yes, it looks like a basic st st background. Should be adorable when finished.

They could have worded it better. I would have said, Continue in pattern until piece measures___ ending in a wrong side row. Btw, I don’t know which side of the pond you’re on. If you’re using British measurements, you should be okay with the centimeters. If you’re American, here’s a tip. I have one of those retractable sewing tape measures. It’s got metric measurements on one side and Imperial measurements on the other. If you want to convert, flip the tape. Or better yet, just use the metric side of it. Knitting gauges also have both measurements on them. My metal Susan Bates gauge is one of them. I was working through a British pattern one day with centimeters. I’m surprised I still remember that 2.54 centimeters make an inch. I fell asleep during metric lessons. Anyway, my head was getting all woozy trying to figure out how long I had to knit that thing when I got one of those Aha moments. Flip the tape, dummy. Duh!

I can never remember how man cms per inch, but I can remember that 10 cms is 3.9".