Help with instructions- incr 1st at each end of next foll

Hi !
I am knitting a kids sweater- Rowan pattern and am trying to figure out what this means---- I am a beginner —these are the instructions for the arms.
I casted on 17 st and making the size 5 (last in list)
Beg with a K row, cont in st st, shaping sides by inc 1 st at each end of next and every foll alt (alt:4th:6th:8th) row to 19(19:19:23:25) sts, then on every foll 4th (4th:6th:8th:-) row until there are 21 (23:23:25:-) sts.

I need row by row explanation:
row 1: knit
row 2: purl
row ? :increse by 1 at the begining and end of row
row ? :increase
until I get 25 sts
then
row ?: increase
how many time ? and until how many sts ?

Thanks for your help!

Gigi

Beg with a K row, cont in st st, shaping sides by inc 1 st at each end of next and every foll alt (alt:4th:6th:8th) row to 19(19:19:23:25) sts, then on every foll 4th (4th:6th:8th:-) row until there are 21 (23:23:25:-) sts.

I need row by row explanation:
row 1: knit
row 2: purl
row ? :increse by 1 at the begining and end of row
row ? :increase
until I get 25 sts
then
row ?: increase
how many time ? and until how many sts ?

Does it tell you how many inches you should have before you begin the shaping?

Anyway, inc at the beg and end of the first inc row, then every 8th row until you have 25 stitches, that would be 4 times.

Once you start the increases, the row numbers will change (so you can keep track of them:

Row 1 - inc 2sts
Row 9 - inc 2 sts
Row 17 - inc 2 sts
row 25 - inc 2 sts. Total of 25 sts.

sue

Thanks…
it does not state when to start shaping ? any suggestions ?

What do I do for this part:
then on every foll 4th (4th:6th:8th:-) row until there are 21 (23:23:25:-) sts.

/Gigi

That’s this part of what I said… “inc at the beg and end of the first inc row, then every 8th row until you have 25 stitches, that would be 4 times.” Every `foll 4th/4th/6th/8th row’ means every whatever row after the first inc row. S

Since it’s for a sleeve on a child’s sweater, I guess you can start the increasing after the first couple rows. Then -

1st inc row - inc 2sts (on the knit side)
8 rows after that - inc 2 sts
8 rows after that - inc 2 sts
8 rows after that - inc 2 sts. Total of 25 sts.

sue

OK THanks !
It feels like it is written the same thing twice… I will try and see how it looks ! :cheering:

Actually, you’re right, it is written twice. I didn’t notice that before; must be a typo. Just do it once - increasing from 17 to 25 stitches.

sue