Help with finishing shorts

Hello,

I have a pattern that I am trying to finish making. The pattern says:

Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 6 rows and 2 sts at beg of next 6 rows; work 1 row straight then dec at both ends of next 2 rows; rep last 3 rows 7 times more then dec at both ends of next 2 alt rows. work a few rows on rem 15 sts until work measures 42.

Do I cast off 3 sts, 6 times for each row? and then the second part does it mean I cast off 2 sts for the next 6 rows?
I am a bit confused about the last of about working for 1 row and rep last 3 rows as well which 3 rows would I rep.

Thanks a bunch if anyone can help.

Hello
I think it would help if you could tell us how many stitches you have when you begin this part of the pattern so that we can check it all adds up.

I believe you would do:
6 rows where you cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of each row. Total 6 rows, total cast off stitches 18.
Then
6 rows where you cast off 2 stitches at the beginning of each row. Total rows now 12, total cast off stitches 30 (18+12).
Then
1 row straight (follow normal pattern that you have been following, there are no decreases on this row)
Next row decrease at both ends (does it say how many?)
Next row decrease both ends

This is the 3 rows which you do 7 times more, that’s a total of 8 times that you do the work in bold.
Then
Work a row.
Next row is the alternate row so decrease both ends.
Work a row.
Next row is the second alternate row so decrease both ends.
Now you have 15 stitches remaining.
Continue the normal pattern on these until you reach the given measurement.

This might not fully resolve your confusion, but you could check it against the number of stitches you start with, how many are decreased at each stage and then end up with 15.

1 Like

Hi Creations,

Thanks so much for replying, there are 81 sts for the pattern. This helps a lot. For the decreases it doesn’t say how many, but it shows that the pattern for the inseam for the crotch is 7 inches. I attached pictures of the pattern, thanks so much again for replying.

unnamed (3) image1 (5)

Hello
Yes I think what I have listed works out correctly.
Start with 81, reduce overall by 66 to leave 15.

The decreases are as said, so in blocks of the pattern instruction:
Dec 18 over 6 rows
Dec 12 over 6 rows
Dec 32 over 24 rows (the 3 rows repeated)
Dec 4 over 4 rows
Total 66 decreases

On the 3 rows repeated it will just be 1 stitch each end of the 2 dec rows as the number works out well.
Same with last 4 rows where it says Dec both ends each alt row, it’s just 1 stitch each end.

Hopefully the numbers make sense to you so you can complete your project.

I hope you will post a photo of the finished piece. Good luck with it.

1 Like

Hey,

Thanks so much, this helps a lot and yes I will for sure post a finished project once it is done. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Creations,

I have gotten stuck again on the second leg of the pattern.IMG_3558

I have finished the first pant leg.
I knitted the 4th row but I am wondering for the next row do I decrease to 67 in the rib panel but how do I add 2 sts to the st? Do I keep decreasing? Also I am a bit confused with the make up & borders, am I suppose to add another skein to make the borders on the leg?

Thanks so much again for the help.

1 Like

That’s great news you finished the other leg.
I think before you were making the backs and now you have moved on to the front.

If you look at the picture the front panel does not decrease until it measures 26-27cm so for some time you are working a straight rectangle.
The instructions are where the centre of this piece is patterned with rib stitches and the outer pattern is stocking stitch. The rib is gradually changed to st st to form a triangle shape - but with same number of stitches throughout.

You have the first few rows all in rib. Then you worked 3 rows where the first 3 stitches are stocking stitch and the centre long stretch is rib.
Row 4 has 5 stitches each end in st st
This means the rib has reduced by 4 because the st st increased by 2 at each side (changing from 3 st st in rows 1,2,3 to 5 st st in row 4)
No increases or decreases, just stitch changes.

So, see how you had 3 rows with 3 st st at each end? You will do 3 rows with 5 st st at each end (row 4 is the start of this group of 3 rows,so rows 4, 5, 6).

It says do this change of stitches 4 times more, on following 3rd row:
3 rows with 7 st st each end (rows 7,8,9)
3 rows with 9 st st each end (rows 10,11,12)
3 rows with 11 st st each end (13,14,15)
Row 16, 13 st st each end

Then it says to do the stitch change on every alternate row, 18, 20, 22, 24…
Until you have mostly st st and have just 3 rib stitches left, work 2 rows then change to all st st.

Does it make sense?

Remember to look at your fabric to see where your ribs are to keep your knits and purls in line and keep the correct rib pattern.

2 Likes

I forgot to answer this.
From the bits of pattern I’ve seen it loos like everything is cast off before you start the border. You rejoin the yarn when you pick up stitches along the leg edge. If you haven’t picked up stitches before there are lots of videos to help.
Each part of the border is worked and cast off and then you will sew together at the seams.

1 Like

THANK YOU :grinning: so much this helps a lot. I really appreciate this. You’re extremely informative, this helps a lot. Thanks again and I will upload when I am done :smile:

1 Like

It will be great to see the finished project :grinning:

1 Like