Help With Custom Fit Fingerless Mitts

[size=6][color=brown][b]I had measured with a standard American tape measure, then looked up the conversion. That is why I have my measurements and metric sizes listed. I am having a difficult time with the metrics on how to convert to American measurements with the pattern.

My size is…

Cir of hand 9" (22.86cm)
Cir of thumb 3.5" (8.89cm)
Distance base
of thumb to
base of index 2" (5.08cm)

What needles do I use because the pattern is vague. Do I use a circular needle? What size? How long? OR Do I use dpn’s? What size?

This is what is stated on the label of the yarn that I am using: Caron Wintuk knitting gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch, 6 rows per inch. Size 8 needles.

Here is the pattern link…

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/mittens/mitts-to-fit.html

Since the pattern is all in metric I will need the pattern re written in American measurements.

Hope that someone could help me with this.

thanks!

Virginia :shrug: :?? [/b][/size][/color]

That’s what it says on the label but what is your gauge? You’ll need to do a swatch first, as per the instructions for the pattern you have chosen before you can begin on the math part.

Yes, it sounds like this pattern can be used with any yarn and an appropriate needle size for that yarn. Measure your swatch and then you will be able to make the calculations. Does your tape measure not have cm’s and inches on it?

I have several problems with this pattern.
[ul]1. The pattern is in metrics, and needs to be changed, so that I can knit it.
2. I don’t know how to do the swatch because there isn’t a type of needle listed to be used… just says “in the round”. “In the round” with what? Dpn’s or circular? What size?
3. I don’t have a metric tape measure. We don’t use metrics on a daily basic here in California, USA.
4. The pattern will have to be re written, so that I can follow it.[/ul]

“This is what is stated on the label of the yarn that I am using: Caron Wintuk knitting gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch, 6 rows per inch. Size 8 needles.” BUT, it’s for a size 8 needle. I am not going to make a pair of mitts with a size 8 needle!

The instructions states to measure your hand first, then it proceeds to the pattern instructions. My hand is measured, and the measurements I have stated. The questions are how to fix the pattern, what type of needle do I use, and what size needles do I use with the yarn I am going to use.

More than half the questions that I gave in my first post you didn’t answer, so I can’t get started on this project. Please re read my questions listed in the first post.

Thank you for your help.

Virginia :shrug: :??

Virginia, please don’t be so upset - we are trying to help you out!

The pattern doesn’t tell you what size needle to use because it is not written for one particular yarn. You can use any yarn that you choose and the first thing you do is make a gauge swatch with that yarn using a needle size that would be appropriate. Why is it you don’t want to make mittens on a size 8 needle? If you want to use a bigger or a smaller needle size, use your yarn and whatever needle you choose and make your swatch. That is the first thing you need to do before you can make any calculations, metric or imperial.

Now, I don’t understand why you can’t just input your measurements, in inches, into the formulas :shrug: . Your measurements are really just ‘units’ it doesn’t really matter whether it is inches or cms or what have you. If you are making your measurements in inches, and you are measuring your gauge swatch in stitches per inch, there is nothing to convert except for the two places in the written part of the pattern where it says 5cm in one spot and 1cm in the other spot.

So, for example, your hand circumference is 9", which is 22.86cm. If you use the gauge that they have as an example in the pattern, which is 21 stitches over 10cm (21sts over 4"). 21sts over 10cm means that in 1cm you have 2.1sts. In inches, you have 5.25sts per 1". If you multiply your hand circumference in inches by the gauge in inches, so 9"x5.25" you get 47.25 stitches to cast on. Rounding up to the nearest even number as the pattern tell you to brings you to 48 stitches. Now, if we do the same thing with the centimeter measurements, you take 2.1sts(per cm)x22.86cm(hand circumference) you get 48.006 to cast on. So in both cases you end up casting on 48 stitches.

Does this help??? I tried the same calculations with your other hand measurements and it all works out, so all you need to do is plug your measurements into the formula, once you have your gauge swatch made, and go from there. It’s not as complicated as it sounds!

As far as what type of needle, you will not be using a circular needle because you are making mittens, circular needles are not small enough. The only way you would use a circular (or two) is if you were using magic loop knitting or knitting in the round with 2 circular needles. Otherwise, you will be using dpns.

You can do a conversion - there are plenty of sites, should you not know the math, in order to do this.

“This is what is stated on the label of the yarn that I am using: Caron Wintuk knitting gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch, 6 rows per inch. Size 8 needles.” BUT, it’s for a size 8 needle. I am not going to make a pair of mitts with a size 8 needle!

So choose another yarn that doesn’t use size 8s or try a swatch with a smaller/larger needle.

Knitting is not a ‘rigid’ art - there are no boundaries, you are not tied to any ‘rules’.

This is the same pattern that I use for all of my fingerless mitts. Are you using the worksheet that is provided with the pattern? It’s very, very helpful. Hope all is going well now, please let us know!

I, too, am wondering how you are making out with the mittens. Do let us know.