Help with Bracken pattern by Annie Rowden

Disclaimer: I am a beginner knitter!

I understand most of the basic abbreviations, however I have a lot of trouble translating the actual patterns.

I have made it to this point in the pattern without any problems, but have become utterly confused at the section marked in bold.

**Pattern **

Raglan and neck shaping
Using larger needle CO 19 [21, 24, 24, 26][26, 27, 27, 28] sts. Do not join to work in the rnd. Switch to smaller needle for next row and continue alternating needle size every row as for Bed Jacket stitch pattern. Next row [WS]: p2, pm, p2 [3, 4, 4, 4][4, 4, 4, 4], pm, p11 [11, 12, 12, 14][14, 15, 15, 16], pm, p2 [3, 4, 4, 4] [4, 4, 4, 4], pm, p2. Inc row [RS]: kfb, *knit to 1 st before marker, kfb, slm, kfb, rep from * three more times, knit to last st, kfb. 29 [31, 34, 34, 36][36, 37, 37, 38] sts Next row: purl.
Rep last two rows 1 [1, 1, 2, 2][2, 3, 3, 3] more times. 39 [41, 44, 54, 56][56, 67, 67, 68] sts Break yarn.

Complete neckline and begin working in the round. With RS facing, slip the next 6 [6, 6, 8, 8][8, 10, 10, 10] front sts, stitch marker, and the following 6 [7, 8, 10, 10][10, 12, 12, 12] sleeve sts onto stitch holder or spare DPNs. Place marker for new BOR. Join yarn and continue with larger needle as for Bed Jacket stitch pattern, kfb, *knit to 1 st before marker, kfb, slm, kfb, rep from * once more, knit to end of row, do not turn work, CO 3 [3, 4, 2, 4][4, 3, 3, 4] sts for front neck, continuing across opposite front held sts knit to 1 st before marker, kfb, slm, kfb, knit to 1 st before new BOR, kfb. 17 [17, 18, 20, 22][22, 25, 25, 26] sts for front/back and 8 [9, 10, 12, 12][12, 14, 14, 14] sts for each sleeve. 50 [52, 56, 64, 68][68, 78, 78, 80] sts

Prior to this point I have been knitting on circular needles, but knitting in rows. How do I now join this in the round? And how do I create all the additional stitches it’s suggesting I should have at the end of the row?

I’m sorry if this sounds so vague, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Amy

Welcome to KH!

I looked at the numbers for the smallest size since I wasn’t sure which size you were making. The basic idea should be the same. If you have the correct number of sts to start this section, 39sts for the smallest size, the instructions have you increase an additional 8sts before and after each marker (8sts) and cast on 3sts at the center front for a total of 50sts.

After you reattach the yarn at the second marker (the marker at the start of the back sts), continue with the instructions to the end of the row. The marker where you attached the yarn is now the new beg of round marker.

Instead of turning to the WS and working the sts, cast on 3sts and knit the sts of the right front which will join the sweater in the round. You will need to turn to the WS to make the cast on but once the sts are added, turn back so that the RS is facing you again.

Thank you so much for your help! I got to the part of casting on the 3 stitches then couldn’t figure out how to connect. I’ll give it a crack!

I’ve moved on, marginally, but am stuck again! What does it mean “continue across opposite front held stitches”? I’ve undone so many times because after joining in the round and continuing my right side becomes my wrong side! I’m obviously missing something crucial!

After you cast on the 3sts onto the right hand needle (the needle that has the working yarn coming off the tip) turn so that the RS, the public side of the sweater is facing you. Join to the held sts and continue across the held sts.
This will join so the you’re knitting in the round with the RS, the public side facing out.
The held sts on the right front (the front right shoulder of the sweater as you would wear it) are the ones that you slipped to a holder:
"…slip the next 6 [6, 6, 8, 8][8, 10, 10, 10] front sts, stitch marker, and the following 6 [7, 8, 10, 10][10, 12, 12, 12] sleeve sts onto stitch holder or spare DPNs"

You are amazing! Thank you so much for all your help! Stay tuned for the next instalment…

You are too kind. Hope the rest goes well but if not, come on back.