Help with boat neck of sweater

Hi,
I am trying to finish the striped vest from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2004 issue, (it is item number 5 on page 85, if you have the magazine). Anyway, I have finished the front and back, blocked it, and sewed the shoulders and sides. It is time to put the neck band and armhole bands on it. The pattern calls for 88 stitches picked-up and knitted evenly around the boat-neck edge and done in k1,p1 rib all the way around for four rows before binding off. My problem is that there are approximately 126 bound-off stitches all the way around the neckline and most of the neck line is really straight in the front and back (like a boat-neck). I tried to space the stitches evenly, and the bound off stitches that I skipped show through. (if you note the pattern, it has many different colored stripes, and the neck band is red, the bound-off front edge is turquoise and the bound-off back edge is lime green). How do I make this work and still look good? Do I pick up and knit the total number of stitches and then decrease a lot of stitches in the first round? Please help, I don’t know what to do.
Thank you. :??

When you picked up the required number of stitches, did you knit the first few rows? If not, the knitting could tighten up those gaps.

I’d probably knit 2, skip one around, and maybe fudge a bit since I’m not sure if that will work out exactly, and then try knitting a few rows and see how they turn out

I’ve had to do this on the front edge of a cardigan, and after I started to knit the band I was adding, you couldn’t tell.

If you pick them all up and then knit, and then decrease on the next round, I suspect you could get some puckering, but it’s worth a shot if all else fails.

Well,
I tried it and it looks OK. I think it is the transition from a light color to a darker color that makes the skipped stitches look a little more prominent through the base of the k1,p1 rib. Other than that, I think it is going to work just fine. Thank you so much for your advice. :cheering:

:cheering: Glad it worked out for you.