Help! What is the secret to inc with yarn overs?

I don’t get it. I can’t make this work.

I know they are an increase. They make a hole in the work usually. Fine.

However, I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.
One time I end up with no loop
One time I get 1 1/2 loops
Another I seem to have a full loop but no matter how I try to stitch into it, it just “disappears” even though it isn’t supposed to.

Can anyone help explain what I am doing wrong?

are you trying to increase on each row, or do you increase only on the right side? that might mess up the pattern a bit.

It is specified in a pattern um like k2, k2tog, k2, yo,
then the next row you are supposed to knit or purl into the yo.

only most of mine I can’t knit or purl into at all - they are mostly just disappearing - instead of ending up stitched in the next row I am ending up with nothing and too few stitches on my needle.

If I do a M1 inc where you do the backwards loop will it work too?

Or maybe I should just do an increase and leave the ‘holes’ out of the pattern.

I’m stuck I have frogged this so many times today I just can’t get these to work.

I’m confused. Are you doing a yarn over or casting one on? Just wondering because you mentioned a backward loop.

On a yo you just bring the yarn between your needles as if to purl and knit as usual.

I asked about the M1 type increase… because to keep my yo on the needle and use it - rather than it disappearing into thin air - that is what I did… On the next row BEFORE I tried to k or p into it, I lifted it off my needle and twisted it and returned it to my needle and then did the p or k into it… It is the only thing I have figured out, for I’m doing them wrong, and I don’t know what I am doing that makes them not work sigh

Without looking at your work, it’s hard to say what’s wrong with your YOs. To make them, move the yarn in front like making a purl, move the yarn over then needle for the next knit stitch. That’s a YO.

To use the M1 instead, lift the thread between the sts, and knit into it without twisting. It makes a smaller hole, but it could work.