Help understanding crochet pattern with picot

Hi. Am hoping for some guidance as am getting very confused.

Pattern says: ch5, sc in 4th ch from hook (picot made) I get that.
Then it says: ch6, sc in 4th ch from hook, ch 2 (picot loop made). I get that.

Second round says: Work (ch5, picot) 2 times, ch2 (small picot loop made). Question then is does that mean I do ch5, ch5 sc into 4th ch from hook and repeat? Or does it mean I do ch5 sc into 4th chain twice?!

Then when later in the pattern it says small picot loop is that the same?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to this style and getting most confused!!

Thanks

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Perhaps @OffJumpsJack or @GrumpyGramma will offer some advice?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

What is the name of the pattern you are making?

Work (ch5, picot) 2 times,
It does mean you “do ch5 sc into 4th chain twice.”

I was would expect it to be “ch2, work (ch5 picot) twice, ch2” for the “(small picot loop made)” otherwise it would seem unbalanced to me. But it does depend on the pattern.

I’ll wait for you to reply with the pattern name before answering that last question.

image Thank you. This is the pattern and a picture. It’s the first time I have done anything like this and I keep doing it and undoing it unsure if it is right!!

1 Like

I don’t know but appreciate the vote of confidence. If I sat and worked through it I might figure it out. OffJumpsJack is a more likely problem solver.

I expected the pattern was for a doiley. :+1:

Yes, some pattern authors use this method of first giving you the stitch by stitch instructions followed by their name for that sequence inside the parentheses.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I think I am cracking it now!

1 Like