Help! Trying to add a strap to a cell phone case

Good evening! I am now an official knitter!:cheering: I have already made one scarf and am started on another sampler scarf!

I am also in the process of making cell phone cases for Christmas and not sure how to do something. The directions say, “Bind off all but last 4 sts. Work these 4 sts in Seed st to make strap 5-1/2”. OK - how do I do that? I did the binding off, but not sure how to work those 4 stitches. Should I cut the yarn after the bind-off or not? I haven’t but if I try to then work the last 4 sts the yarn from the bind-off comes loose. How is this accomplished, please?

Thanks for helping!

No - DON’T CUT the yarn!!

Work those 4 stitches back and forth like you were knitting a scarf - a lit-tle tiny scarf, till however long you want the strap to be, 5 1/2" per your directions.

Don’t understand about how the bound-off stitches unravel when you try to knit the 4 sts, but maybe you could pull up a loop and feed your ball of yarn through the loop to make a sort of knot? Honest, it’s vital to have those 4 (or 5 or however many you like, if you want a wide strap) stitches to knit over.

Okay, on to the seed stitch. For 4 stitches:

Row 1: Knit 1, Purl 1, Knit 1, Purl 1. Turn.

Row 2: Purl 1, Knit 1, Purl 1, Knit 1. Turn.

Repeat these two rows exactly for the seed stitch. You’ll get little bumps or “seeds” instead of the usual ribbing that k1,p1 will give you. In essence, you’re purling the knits and knitting the purls.

Hope this helps,
Dot

Got it! TY so much! I passed the ball through the loop as you suggested and it is working great. What a wonderful resource this forum is!!! :woot: