Help reading pattern

steps onto soapbox timidly Hello! I’m new to the forum…and…I’ve come with a problem. :stuck_out_tongue: (Sorry if this was the wrong board to post it!)

I’m a fifteen year old knitter who’s working on her first sweater. It’s Patton’s Divine Lacework Sweater, in case you want to know. Anyway, after coasting smoothly through the back and front, I’ve run into some trouble on the sleeve. It says:

1st Row (RS) *K2 (yfwd) twice. Rep from * to last 2 sts. K2.

2nd Row *P2. (P1. K1) into double ywfd. Rep from * to last two sts.

3rd Row K1 *Sl1. K1. psso. (yfwd) twice. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1.

I understand the first row, and I know what yfwd is, but it’s the 2nd row directions that have muddled me! What does one do, particularly, when told to “(P1, K1) into double yfwd”?

Help would be VERY much appreciated! My Mum has tried to help me but she never did anything other than knit and purl, so I’m sort of on my own in this knitting buisness!

It seems to me that the “(yfwd) twice” should make two new ‘stitches’ on your needle. When you are going across the next row, you should treat those two stitches as though they were one. If you don’t, I’m pretty sure that they’d leave a sizable hole in your sweater.
(P1. K1) into the same stitch is a method of increasing, and it isn’t as hard as it might seem. Purl into the stitch as you usually would, but don’t slide the stitch off your left hand needle just yet. Instead, bring the yarn to the back of your work and knit into the same stitch. After that, just continue on your merry way. :slight_smile: If you need better clarification, just ask.

Welcome to the forum! You may be our youngest member! And may I say that we have adults who aren’t brave enough to do anything lacy, so kudos to you, dear!

This is absolutely the right place to post with questions.

edit: I think Tab is right, my original answer was wrong!

Love your avatar! Do you dance too? Invite your mom to join the board, the more the merrier!

For the yfwd twice, make sure you bring the yarn forward, then back over your needle and forward again. It will give you the two extra loops that Tab mentioned.

And welcome! Many adults are afraid to step onto the soapbox as you so eloquently put it! :wink:

Thank you all very much! :slight_smile:

Yes, I do dance, Sara! It’s lots of fun!

Do any of you know of a good website or video I could watch of the knit, purl increase? I understand what you’re saying, but somehow I can’t seem to work it out on the needles. :thinking:

There’s a video for the Moss Increase here on KH, in the Increases section of Basic Techniques. It’s basically the same thing, but backwards. (K1, P1 instead of P1, K1) If you can understand one, you can probably understand the other.