Help please - Round Neck instead of V neck cardigan

I am knitting size 6-7 yr old for my granddaughter but want to change it to round neck instead of V neck like the photo. Please advise how I can get to alter the pattern for the neckline. Thank you very much in advance

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 16.27.37|810x888

@DB123
You can modify this pattern at the neck if you keep knitting the front neck edges (left and right) without the sloped shaping. When you get to the point where you would like the neck opening, bind off some number of sts and then shape the neck. This is going to take some trial to figure out or maybe a sweater that now fits your granddaughter to use as a model.
Very sweet pattern!

A rule of thumb for creating a crewneck is to cast off half the total stitches you need to ultimately cast off, then one quarter fairly rapidly, then the last quarter less rapidly, hopefully ending with a couple of rows with none cast off.

You don’t have to be too exact.

With a cardigan, you are doing this on each side to make two halves of a half circle shape.

So if you had 16 sts to “lose” on one side, your initial cast off could be 8. Then 2 and 2 every other row over a total of four rows (4 more gone). Then 1 every other row over eight rows (last 4 gone).

A good way to plan it out is with graph paper. A crewneck is shallower than a v-neck so your first cast-off section will come “later” (higher up) in your knitting (if you are knitting bottom up).

1 Like

Hi Thanks so much for your advice. As I am only a beginner in knitting, could you please advise when I should start decreasing stitches for the neck edge and how many stitches. I am knitted the 4th size, the back piece measures 17 inches/43 cm. thank you so much in advance

Left Front -Change to 3.25mm (US 3) needles.
Beg with a k row, cont in st st until front measures 22(24:26:28:30)cm/8 3⁄4(9 1⁄2:10 1⁄4:11:11 3⁄4)in
from cast on edge, ending with a p row.
Shape armhole
Next row Cast off 4(4:5:5:6) sts, k to end. 36(38:40:42:44) sts. Next row Purl to end
Next row K2, skpo, k to last 4 sts, k2 tog, k2.
Next row Purl to end.
Rep the last 2 rows 5(6:6:7:7) times. 24(24:26:26:28) sts. Keeping armhole edge straight cont to dec at neck edge
on every 3rd(3rd:3rd:4th:4th) row from previous dec until 16(17:18:19:20) sts rem.
Work straight until front matches back to shoulder, ending at armhole edge.
Shape shoulder
Cast off 8(8:9:9:10) sts at beg of next row.
Work 1 row.
Cast off rem 8(9:9:10:10) sts.

You’re really doing the work of a designer at this point so there is going to be some trial and error involved. The total length of the sweater is 17" and the armhole bind off begins at 11". That leaves 6" from the armhole to the shoulder shaping.
You could try starting the neck by binding off the center sts at about 2.5-3" after the armhole bind off. Try binding off about 12sts at the neck edge then binding off 2sts at the neck edge, then maybe 1 stitch a couple of times. You want the shoulder to have 19sts for the shoulder shaping so that it will match the back.
It might be a good idea to put in a lifeline at the rows after the armhole shaping just in case you need to modify the bind offs.

1 Like