Help please please beginer to knitting and site needs help

Hi,

I am trying a baby matinee coat for the first time and its bais is the moss stitch, i have the moss stitch part down but when it changes the pattern it says moss3,k.7,moss2 and repeat this until my row is finished,

i tried but think i did somthing wrong, how do i moss 3,? i took it to mean that i k1 p1 k1 and do that 3 times so it would be. k1 p1 k1 k1 p1 k1 k1 p1 k1 then k.7 then k1 p1 k1 k1 p1 k1 and start all over again,

is this making any sense I am lost and would love some help :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

can anybody help,
really stuck ere lol

do you have a link to the pattern or how many stitches are being worked total for the row

its from a book sorry but i am working with 73 stitches

from what is written I would take it to mean k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k7,k1,p1,k1,p1…however that wouldn’t equal your 73 st for a row…I’ve also tried the math with the way you wrote it out and it doesn’t work for 73 either…so hopefully someone else will be able to come by shortly with more help for you

thanks anyway

i have looked all over the net to see if i can get an answer but nothing,

does anybody have any ideas? its defo 73 stiches in the pattern,

am i right in thinking that the moss st is k1 p1 k1 p1…

and if the pattern says moss 3 then i am to do 6 stitches,
K1.p1 k1.p1 k1.p1
then i knot 7 st
then i k1,P1 K1,P1
and do this to the end
but when i do my last k1p1 k1p1 i am still left wit 5 stiches

I only a newb so maybe i am getting pattern wrong but thats wat it says.

No it means to work the moss stitch over [I]3 sts only[/I], then k7, then work moss st over the next 2 sts. You don’t kpk 3 times, that would be moss st on 9 sts, not 3.

thank you thank you thank you

so much,

ok so i k1 p1 k1 then k,7 then k1 p1 until last stitch? which pattern tells me to be k

i really apreceate the reply, I am only a beginer my nan was showing me but she passed away so trying to use the internet to figure it all out thanks again

If you already have the moss st pattern on previous rows, after the k7 if the next stitch looks like a knit, then you purl it, but if it looks like a purl, you knit it.

Now, you said the pattern is “moss3,k.7,moss2 and repeat this until my row is finished,” so after the k7 you don’t just work in moss st until the end of the row. Do moss st over 3 sts, k7, moss st over 2 sts then repeat the whole thing again. So you effectively are doing moss st on 3 sts, k7, moss st on 5 sts, k7, moss st 5 sts, k7, etc, until the last 9 sts which will be k7, moss st over 2 sts.