Help needed!

I’m knitting a crocodile (stuffed) and the pattern for the legs doesn’t make sense to me. It says:

Shape foot: Next row: Inc in each st - 18 sts. Ss 5 rows.

(so far so good, I’m knitting 18 sts in stockingette stitch, but then…)

Divide for toes: Next row: P12, [then using sewing up needle threaded with separate length of green yarn, slip last 6 sts onto the thread, draw up and secure, p3] twice, break off yarn, leaving an end, thread end through remaining 6 sts, draw up and secure.

The pattern notes that instructions in [ ] brackets areworked as stated after brackets, but I don’t understand the bit about p3. I think maybe if I got that the rest might make sense. Obviously, the drawn up and secured parts are toes, the pattern is knitted from the top of the leg to the toes. There is no picture to help matters.

[size=2][color=blue]The Mod Squad was here[/color][/size] :thumbsup:

Just a guess - trying to picture this in my head - if you turn your work after the first time you secure the 6 stitches, and follow what they say, would you wind up with the last toe being what was 3 stitches from the beginning of the original row secured with 3 stitches between the other 2 toes, which might make it a much more 3-d foot. ???

I think I follow you, but three dimensional knitting is not my strong suit. Also the pattern does not give sewing up instructions for the foot, just sewing on instructions for the whole leg.

Does anybody have any different ideas for a four-toed foot using 18 stitches? The whole leg pattern is as follows:

LEGS (make 4 pieces) With A, cast on 3 sts. Work in ss, increasing 1 st at each end of first 4 rows - 11 sts. Ss 6 rows. Next row: K3, k2tog, k1, k2tog, k3 - 9 sts. Ss 7 rows. Shape foot: Next row: Inc in each st - 18 sts. Ss 5 rows. Divide for toes: Next row: P12, [then using sewing up needle threaded with separate length of A yarn, slip last 6 sts onto the thread, draw up and secure, p3] twice, break off yarn, leaving an end, thread end through remaining 6 sts, draw up and secure.

This is a crocodile leg, remember. I understand I should sew the two edges together to make a leg, but what about a foot?