Help me Use this Yarn!

Hi there,

I bought a bunch of yarn to make a baby blanket and the pattern ended up being poorly written and generally a huge pain. I’d like to scrap it and start over with a new pattern. I’ve seen a few with eyelets and cables and a few using lace but generally the patterns online that I’ve come across use a heavier weight yarn than what I have. I bought several skeins of Dale Baby Ull, a fingering weight yarn. Recommended gauge for Dale Baby Ull is 32 stitches per 4 inches (10 cm).

Any suggestions? I even thought about just casting on a certain multiple of stitches and trying a stitch pattern from Vogue Knitting Dictionary. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Amy (haven’t knitted in awhile with the baby here!)

I think finding a stitch pattern you like would be a great idea. You could make it as big/small as you want. Or if you find one that calls for heavier yarn that you just love, you could double your yarn and work with two strands together.

I think I will use just a cool stitch I find in my collection but I think I’d like to have a border too… any ideas on how to make an even border around a blanket without losing my mind?

This is my first go of not working off a complete pattern. If the pattern has, for example, a multiple of 8 stitches, could someone give me an example of where to go from there? My mind isn’t computing this at the moment. Thanks.

:slight_smile:

Amy

First off, a good size for a baby blanket is anywhere around 32"x42".
Baby Ull has a gauge of 8 sts per inch.

So, you’ll need about 256 stitches across. (32 inches X 8 stitches)

Here’s how to figure what to cast on:

If your pattern says it’s a multiple of say 6 stitches plus 2, then 6 x 43 = 258 plus 2. Cast on 260 stitches. You’ll have 43 pattern repeats across the row, plus 1 stitch on each end.

If the pattern says it’s a multiple of 8, cast on 256. You’ll have 32 repeats across.

If you want to knit a border as you knit the blanket, cast on those stitches too. If you want to add a border afterwards, cast on an extra 2 stitches so you have somewhere to pick up stitches to knit the border on.

Any questions? :slight_smile:

wow great explanation, thanks, that will help… one more question:

I know I may have to play around with needle size to obtain the correct gauge but any idea what size I might begin with to try? Size 4 perhaps?

Amy

The suggested needle size for Baby Ull is US size 1 or 2. :slight_smile: Happy to help!

I have one more question for you Kristin… I think I’m nearly set! If I add a border later, you mentioned that I should add 2 extra stitches to pick up knitting the border. Would I add one stitch at each end of the pattern then? Like K1 (pattern stuff) K1; for example?

I’ve never picked up stitches before so I’m not sure how it works but I will figure it out. I just want to get the math correct. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for answering all my questions!

Amy