Help, I cannot do math.

The pattern is Ravelry: Jackalope (AKA Antelabbit or Stagbunny) pattern by Hansi Singh
I know there is a rule regarding posting part of the pattern, but my problem cannot be resolved without sharing the pattern. For your reference: row 24 is Row 24: Sl1, K53.
I cannot understand row 23; the numbers simply don’t add up. After row 22, I have 5 stitches left on the right needle, and there is no way I can purl 50 stitches, as the overall stitch count is 54.
And here is the stitch counts I recorded
row 1: 18 + 2
row 2: 24 + 2
row 3: 20 + 6
row 4: 30 + 2
row 5: 24 + 8
row 6: 32 + 6
row 7: 30 + 6
row 8: 32 + 10
row 9: 32+ 10
row 10: 30 + 14
row 11: 30 + 14
row 12: 28 + 18
row 13: 34 + 12
row 14: 32 + 16
row 15: 40 + 8
row 16: 38+ 12
row 17: 45 + 5
row 18: 43 + 9
row 19: 49 + 3
row 20: 47 + 7
row 21: 53 + 1
row 22: 49 + 5
Thank you so much for your help :heartpulse:

The problem may be in the way you are working your increases. Are you picking up the strand between sts for the M1 increases? or are you increasing in a stitch, i.e. a knit front and back? The increase in a stitch will use up one stitch and leave you with 2 but will throw off the stitch count.

You should be working the M1 by picking up the strand between sts.

2 Likes

Hello
I think the problem here might be the way you are performing the M1R and M1L, rather than maths.

A M1 (R or L) is an increase of 1 stitch by lifting the bar of yarn between 2 stitches, placing this bar in the needle and working it (in this case working as a knit as the M1 always lands on a right side row of the stockinette fabric).
I suspect you might have been producing the M1 AND THEN knitting a stitch believing this to be part of the M1 process. This could explain why your stitch count is off and I also suspect that the short rows shaping is not symmetrical, therefore leaving you with 5 stitches on the needle.

When working the M1 correctly the stutch count will work out in these instructions and the short rows will be centered. Perhaps place a marker between the centre stitches after you CO (marker between stutch 10 and 11) to help you see the symmetry of the shaping.

For example
Row 1 (purl side) uses 18 sts and leaves 2 stitches unworked
18 + 2
Row 2 (knit side) 2 unworked, 16 sts worked and 6 increases, turns leaving 2 unworked.
2 + 22 + 2 (26sts)
Row 3 (purl side) 2 unworked, 20 worked, 4 unworked
2 + 20 + 4
Row 4 (knit side) 4 unworked, 18 worked and 6 increases, turn leaving 4 unworked
4 + 24 + 4 (32 sts)

Can you see how the turns create a greater number of unworked stitches at each end of the fabric? On one row it may go to 2 stitches jne end and 4 at the other but at the next row it returns to symmetry by leaving 4 unworked each end.
Later you will increase the number of stitches worked working past the wraps until eventually working the full row on row 24.

I hope this helps.

Cute pattern, hope we get to see a pic when it’s finished.

2 Likes

@salmonmac @Creations, thank you so much for the help and tips about M1R and M1L.
It is a math problem. I did the calculation wrong in the first three rows, and everything went downhill. I should write the stitch counts down. Now the numbers are correct, and I plan to use Excel for this pattern, for the crazy amount of w&t. And thank you for the reminder that on the K row, the numbers of unworked and left-on stitches are the same. This is a great way to check up on the counting.
I will post a picture when I finish this ambitious project.

2 Likes

Well you have done amazing maths there, what a fabulous chart.
For what it’s worth I have sat with a paper and pencil and worked out rows 1 to 16 and got all the same numbers as you. So either you’re right or we’re both wrong.

Only thing I would suggest is to be careful of the figures in the “worked” column. Some of these are worked stitches but some are MADE stitches (the M1 which doesn’t use up a stitch).
The chart will work for you as you understand how you’ve put it together.
Personally I would have put an additional column called “increases” and listed the worked and increased stitches separately. The reason for this is that when presented with a new row if i know how many are going to be “worked” I can put a marker after that number of stitches, then work the pattern (the knits and makes) and should reach the marker after performing all the instruction. It’s a check to make sure I have used the correct number of stitches. I could do a second check by counting the stitches I have on the right needle for this row (worked plus increases), then I would know that what remains on the left needle is the correct number.

Just thought I’d mention as this is quite a tricky section and I would need to keep counting how many stitches I need to work and make and I’d need to put markers in for the number to be worked and also at the wrap and turns so that I could check how many stitches I have left unworked at each end to ensure I stayed on track.

The numbers in this don’t go up and down as easily as a sleeve cap which is hard enough for me!

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

1 Like

Oh, very good. These little projects can be quite difficult to work because of the size and the involved shaping. Hope that it’s smooth sailing from now on.
One of the knitters on Ravelry has posted some possible corrections. You might or might not have these in your version of the pattern but it doesn’t hurt to be aware of them.
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/pepita-di-Corfu/jackalope-aka-antelabbit-or-stagbunny

2 Likes

@Creations @salmonmac
Picking up 107 stitches, doing Kitchener stitches, and creating the belly is difficult. The underbelly of this cryptid is a car crash scene. Also, I didn’t pick up the wrap for the W&P. I learned my lesson. However, I finished it! And I am happy with the result. Thank you so much for your help. :gift_heart: :gift_heart: :gift_heart:

Hansi Singh is a talented pattern designer, but her pattern has too many picking-up stitches. I want to make her other patterns like Loch Ness Monster and Praying Mantis. But these two can wait.

2 Likes

These little creatures are never easy, always fiddley with lots of twists and turns. Yours looks great and sounds like you learned a lot in making it. An all over success!

What a cute little creature!