Help deciphering directions for Baby Cardigan Collar

Directions:

FINISHING

Sew shoulder seams.
Front/Neckband: With smaller needles, cast on 9 sts. Work in ribbing same as back for 3⁄4”, end on WS. Buttonhole Row (RS): Work 3 sts, bind off 2 sts, work to end.

Following Row: Work in ribbing as established, cast on 2 sts over sts bound off on previous row. Work even until piece measures 3(31⁄2-4)” from beg, end on WS. Work second buttonhole. Work even until piece, when slightly stretched, reaches around neck and down left front to cast-on edge, end on WS. Bind off in ribbing. Sew inner edge of band to front and neck edges of sweater with second buttonhole at beg of neck shaping. Sew in sleeves. Sew side and sleeve seams. Sew on buttons.

Question: Don’t really know where to begin as these directions make absolutely no sense to me. Am I to make part of the collar attached, then make a separate collar band that is to be attached (sewn) later?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my query.

You’re knitting a separate 9-stitch wide band which contains buttonholes and will be sewn onto the sweater later. The strip will go up the right front, around the neck and down the left front.

Salmonmac to the rescue again! Can’t thank you enough! 2nd time you’ve gotten me out of a what appeared to me to be a mind bending puzzle.

xo