Help! Confusing pattern!

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with this pattern. I’m knitting a vintage flared coat for my niece and I’m having a few issues.

'Row 1 - K2 sts (front) inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K2 sts (sleeve). Inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K16 sts (back). Inc 1 st, K1 st, in 1 st (seam). K2 sts (sleeves). Inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K 2sts (front)

Row 2 - Purl

Row 3 - Inc 1 st in first 2 sts, K1 (front). Inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K4 sts (sleeve). Inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K 18 sts (back). Inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K4 sts (sleeve). Inc 1 st, K1 st, inc 1 st (seam). K1, inc in last 2 sts (front)’

The numbers of stitches doesnt seem to add up. Its not really making any sense to me. Can someone please help?

Also one more problem.

‘Row 9 - K 10 sts, K to end of row, cast on 10sts, continuing to inc on seam stitches only every other row, having 1 more st in each front, 2 more sts in each sleeve, 2 more sts in back (8 more sts on each increasing row)’

If i add 1 more stitch on each seam (4 seams in total) then i would be increasing 12 more sts instead of 8 sts right? I’m feeling really confused. Please help!

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help.

Do you have a link to the pattern?

How many stitches are you starting with?

It looks like you have 26 stitches after row 1 and need 26 stitches to complete row 3.

For Row 3, the first and last 2 increases are worked as a kfb in the first and last 2 stitches, while the rest of the increases are done between stitches. The kfbs use 4 total stitches while the other increases only add without using stitches. Does that make sense? Do you think that was the issue?

As for Row 9, if you have 4 seams and increase on each side of each seam, you should end up with 8 increases, one on the front, 2 on the first sleeve, 2 on the back, 2 on the second sleeve, and one on the other front.

Hi and welcome to KH!
There’s something that’s not adding up in the directions for the fronts. Otherwise, the sleeves and back make sense. For row one you have 3 sts for each sleeve and you increase each one by 2 sts for 5 sleeve sts each. Row 3 needs 5sts for each sleeve and you end up with 7sts/sleeve. The numbers work for the back too. You need 17sts for row 1 and end the row with 19 back sts which is what row 3 requires. Row 3 ends with 21sts.

Can you post a link to the pattern and maybe we can figure out the fronts?

For the problem in Row 9, the increase of 8sts makes sense. You have 4 seams and you’re increasing each side of each seam so 2 increases per seam for 8 increases on each increase row.

Thanks! Row 9 makes sense now.

For row 3 it says inc 1 in the first 2 stitches and knit 1 st (front)
I’d have to start off with 3 stitches to begin with wouldn’t I? Because row 1 I start off with k 2 (front)
I still don’t understand this.

I cast on with 36sts. I have the pattern on PDF file. Would it help if I emailed it to you? Thanks a lot for replying to me =)

I agree salmonmac. The front doesn’t really add up. I could email you the PDF if you PM me your email. Thanks!

You would have 3 after completing row one because you’ll k2, inc 1 ETA–Actually you’ll have 4 before the ‘seam’.

I think it is 3 before the seam. If you mark the actual seam stitch instead of the designation “seam” that the pattern gives, it works out (mental head slap for me!)
Row 1: K2 sts (front) inc 1 st, [B]K1[/B] st, inc 1 st K2 sts (sleeve). Inc 1 st, [B]K1[/B] st, inc 1 st . K16 sts (back). Inc 1 st, [B]K1[/B] st, inc 1 st . K2 sts (sleeves). Inc 1 st, [B]K1[/B] st, inc 1 st . K 2sts (front)
Then as Ingrid says, you have 3 sts on the first front after finishing the row and before the bolded seam st. On row 3 inc in the first 2, k1, and then do the new inc either side of the bolded seam stitch. The other front works as well:
you end row 1 with 3sts after the bolded seam stitch, so on row 5 k1, and then increase in the next 2sts.

I think this is one of those patterns where you just have to do it rather than try to figure it out. I’ve found that is the best way, for me, anyway, to get through complicated instructions.

Thank you for both of your help so much! Hopefully I’ll eventually get this done.