Help changing needles while working in round

I am knitting in the round a market bag made with sugar and cream. I came to the part of the pattern where I need to change to working with a larger size needle. I took the larger needle and knit with that as my main needle until all the stitches were on the larger needle. Here is my dilemma where I need help. Once all the stitches were on the new needle my working yarn was not on the correct side to continue working in the round. How do I go about fixing this or can I. I know that I could flip the bag so that it would look like I was knitting inside out but for some reason this does not seem correct to me. I would appreciate any advice that anyone would have. Also for future projects that I may make where this same thing comes up (changing to larger needles) is there a better way to switch needles than the way that I did it.

Thanks for the help!!

Mindy

Welcome to Knitting Help!
I’m probably not understanding the problem. When you change the size needle, the larger needle is in your right hand and the smaller needle is in your left. The working yarn is coming off the smaller right needle but you just pick up the yarn and continue to knit stitches from left needle to right. When you finish the round the working yarn should still be coming off the right needle and you can pick up the other end of the larger circular in your left hand and continue knitting. Can you do this? Pick up the other end of the larger needle and continue knitting? or have things somehow gotten reversed?

Could you possibly post a picture? I think that might help.

When I went from the smaller to the larger needles my working yarn was in my right hand to start. I inserted the larger needle into the smaller and used the working yarn from my right hand. Somehow after I got all the way around my working yarn was pulling from the left side and not the right. I figure I got twisted somewhere along the line. I would like to know how I can fix this and also in the future what I can do so that I don’t have this problem again.

Thanks!!

Mindy

1 Like

The best thing may be to unknit the round stitch by stitch until you get to the place where you inadvertantly switched needles. There should be a small jog or hole there and you can locate it before you start un-knitting. This happens and perhaps an easy way to avoid it is to make sure you pick up the needle with the working yarn in your right hand. Also maybe a marker (a safety pin or loop of yarn) on the right side of the work will help orient you in case things turn inside out.

Maybe you slipped the last stitch onto the left needle. What happens if you just slip that stitch to the right needle?

I ran out of room on my circular needle and someone said you can just continue with another set of circular needles using the right one only my question is what happens to the left one.

You have too many sts for the length of your circular needle? You can either knit the sts onto another circular needle that has a longer cable or you can add in a second circular and knit with 2 circular needles. You would use both ends of circular #1 to knit
about half the sts, then change to circular #2 to knit the second half of the sts.

You do have to remember to only knit each half with its own needle. Don’t continue onto the second half of the sts for example with needle #1.

Are you knitting back and forth or in the round?

Back and fourth

Darlene

I’m a little confused can you explain more

Darlene

How do I get the stitches from one needle to the other?

Darlene

You can work the next row using the new needle as the right hand needle and the sts on the old needle as the left hand needle. Here’s a video that may help. If not just come back and ask about it.

I have stitches on both needles I’m sorry I’m really confused

Darlene

Maybe you can post a photo of your situation. I may well be misinterpreting.
Use the landscape icon in the middle of the Reply box to upload a photo.

Let’s see if I understand the problem. You are knitting flat on a circular needle. You have too many stitches for one needle. Salmonmac suggested using two circular needles. You are wanting all the stitches on one needle.

If the new needle is long enough to hold all the stitches you can just knit all of them onto it. If you end up using two circulars because both are short then you want to knit about half or whatever number your new needle accommodates onto it. Drop that needle tip. Pick up the end of the other needle that has the the end of the row on it. Use that tip to knit off the live stitches on the other end.

HTH though I fear it’s as cllear as mud.

Darlene

GrumpyGramma

February 29

Let’s see if I understand the problem. You are knitting flat on a circular needle. You have too many stitches for one needle. Salmonmac suggested using two circular needles. You are wanting all the stitches on one needle.

If the new needle is long enough to hold all the stitches you can just knit all of them onto it. If you end up using two circulars because both are short then you want to knit about half or whatever number your new needle accommodates onto it. Drop that needle tip. Pick up the end of the other needle that has the the end of the row on it. Use that tip to knit off the live stitches on the other end.

HTH though I fear it’s as cllear as mud.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To how do I start the new needle on my circular

Dknapp

February 28

How do I get the stitches from one needle to the other? Darlene

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I’ve looked at your post several times and think I finally found your question. The easiest way IMO to move stitches from one needle to another, because it’s either a different size or length is to knit them with and onto the new needle. It’s possible to slip them all to the new needle first, if it’s the same size or larger, but generally unnecessary. I have a tendency to split the yarn when slipping stitches so avoid it when possible.

I would have seen you question sooner except that for some reason your post presented oddly and it was hard to find. I don’t know why.

Is there s video on this problem also do I just cap the original off and start knitting