Help, Bind off didn't work

Thought I had resolution but it just didn’t work
Here is how the line reads and I have to wind up with 160 stitches.
I understand everything except the part that appears to be a bind off.

K16,increase,(YO,SSK)twice, K3 tog with left needle bring second st on right needle over the first st and off the needle, YO, K2tog, YO, increase, K1, increase, (YO,SSK)twice,K3 tog, with left needle over first st and off the needle,YO, K2tog, YO, increase
*K 12, increase, (YO, SSK) twice, K3 tog, with left needle over first st and off the needle, YO, K2tog, YO, increase, K1, increase, (YO, SSK)twice, K3 tog, with left needle bring second st on right needle over first st and off the needle, YO, K2tog, YO, increase,
Repeat from * 2 times more K 16

Its a pattern by Brooke Shellflower-- Sweetheart Afghan
It’s a baby afghan with heart motiff and I am at the top of the hearts, line 50

Is the ‘increase’ a separate increase from the YO, ssk twice?

A couple more questions.

You said you need to end up with 160 after that row. How many did you start with?

What kind of increase are you supposed to make? Some work into a stitch, some make a st between stitches.

Yes, the increase is seperate from the YO and they did not indicate how to do it so I was just going to “cast on” a new one as a video I watched on this site. I started with 160 stitiches

I started with 160 stitches

they did not say how to increase so I was going to do a "cast on"
stitch as seen on a video here in re increases

In what way is it not working out for you? Do you end up with too many stitches or too few? Or is it something else?

I did some research and found a picture of your afghan and you say you are at the top of the heart. I don’t know if you are on the very last row of the heart, or if there are 1 or 2 more, I think there are probably 1 or 2 more rows of the heart from where you are.

I did a swatch over 28 stitches (random # just to give me plenty) and I worked the row. I didn’t start with 16, only 3, but then did the instructions for the top of 1 heart. When I got all done with my row I still had 28 stitches, so I think I was doing it right.

I don’t know what increase the pattern calls for (or if the pattern told you which one to use), but I do know it is one that is made between stitches and not a K1fb or something that uses a stitch.

K16,increase,(YO,SSK)twice, K3 tog with left needle bring second st on right needle over the first st and off the needle,

To get over to the place you are having trouble you knit the 16 sts, did an increase between sts, then did a YO, and a SSK, then did another YO and another SSK. At this point you should have 21 stitch loops on your right hand needle (RHN). And the last st on the RHN is the result of your SSK. Now you knit 3 together. From that you get one new st loop on your RHN. Then using your left hand needle tip, lift the loop that was the result of the SSK (it will be the 2nd one from the needle tip) up and over the result of the K3tog (the st right at the tip of the needle) letting it fall off the end of the RHN (this is the part that is similar to a BO). Then you go on to the next YO, K2tog, etc. And there will be another one of these K3tog things on this same heart. The two of them make up the top of the humps of the heart.

I’m pretty sure you have been doing the increase (whatever it may be) and the SSK and all the other things you do here on other parts of the heart so you should be doing them right if you got that far all right. If you start with 160 stitches for this row and work it right you should have 160 at the end.

I hope that helps you with the BO part and you are on your way.

That is a pretty blanket you are making. I love hearts on baby things.

By CO I guess you mean the backward loop? That’ll do fine.
So you’re going to be doing - K16, inc, YO, SSK YO, SSK, K3 tog.
That puts 22 sts on the right needle. So lift the 2nd one from the tip over the 1st one.
Then do the next set of sts - YO, K2tog, YO, inc, K1, inc, YO, SSK, YO, SSK, K3 tog.
Again take the 2nd st from the end of the right needle and pull it over the one on the end.

That’s really all you need to do - after the k3tog you get one st on the R needle from it, so pull the next st (on the R needle) over it and go on.

I did find an error in my count so I took out a couple of rows to find the and will start again. I know what you explain makes sense and I know I wind up with the right amount of stitches for the next row but it seems like I should wind up with extra stitches. I will try again and let you know, once again Thanks

Finally success, but you won’t believe how. I was hung up on row 50 but row 48 kept bugging me because I am getting to the top of the heart and should be rounding off the top and yet in row 48 the beginning knits were reduced again in stead of being increased to get this effect, also the knits in between the heart motifs was also decreased in stead of increased. :woohoo: the bell rang. If I adjust the beginning knits, the knits between the patterns and the ending knits to what they should be my problems are solved. Would you believe that:knitting:

So was the pattern wrong? Or had you gotten yourself mixed up? I’m glad you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

The pattern was wrong in rows 48,50 and 52. Since this was at the upper part of the heart the beginning and ending knits should have increased to form the rounding top and they reduced the beginning and the ending, also the knits inbetween the patterns was wrong as this too was reduced instead of increased. In all my going back and forth I dropped some stitches so tore it out to the beginning of the heart again and I am just about at the point to see if my calculations are correct:knitting: The stitch count for the heart pattern was also wrong as it duplicated row 44 and was making the heart bigger instead of smaller as at the top

Very interesting. Knit on.

Betty, I just had a thought. I was thinking that if it were me I would try just doing a heart motif and see if it comes out right instead of doing it on the blanket where you have so much more at risk.