Height of Stitches?

How do you control if your knit stitches or purl stitches are higher? I don’t really know how to describe this, but i’m working on a gansey. Most of the purl stitches protrude out, but some sink back, like ribbing does. How do you control this?

Here’s an example:
IMG_20190416_205311869

On the same row, between knit stitches, the purl stitch will always go down. In the same way purl stitches will always protrude over knit rows above and under. This feature is used for example to create something looking like a basket weave.

It is possible to control the depth of a stitch to some degree with help of cable stitches. Take a look at this pattern: https://www.liveinternet.ru/users/gl0riosa/post443651253/. In this pattern cable stitches are used for controlling the depth of knit stitches near the border of the tree. The same technique can be used for controlling purl stitches.

Welcome to the forum!
What pattern are you following? Can you give us the name or a link to it?

(Lovely and apt example, engblom.)

I’m using a pattern from “More Traditional Dutch Ganseys” by Stella Ruhe. Rather than a pattern, it provides basic description of how to knit a sweater and charts for traditional patterns. The one I’m following appears to have raised purl stitches in a vertical row, but the photos from the early 1900s, so I might have just saw it wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the quick reply Engblom!

Very nice! Even from the photo in the pattern you can see that the combination of sts is giving a 3D look to the gansey. Your knitting looks quite good and should give the correct look, especially with blocking.