Heel flap help

I am knitting the Dublin Bay Socks right now. It is only my second (and a half) pair of socks. I’m used to the pattern telling me to knit so many rows. This pattern says to “knit the heel flap until you reach the desired heel length, usually 2.5”. "

I know that I have to pick up 20 stitches for the gusset. Should I just knit so I have that many slipped stitches (it is eye of partridge heel)? Or should I just do the 2.5" and pick up the best I can even if I have to squeeze them in?

The socks aren't for me, otherwise I'd just go with the flow.

Thanks, and sorry for the novel!

It says to your desired length, so you can pretty much do what you want.:shrug:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Remember, except if you’re doing a special stitch pattern, a sock pattern is a recipe. You can substitute heels, heel lenghth, toes, toe length, to make them work for you. Some people knit socks by measurement (2.5 in) and some by number of rows. Both work.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]If you have more or less rows in your heel flap, you just pick up the sts along the side and start your decreasing rows till you get back to the same number of sts you CO with.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]This all may be negated if you’re doing a sock with a specific stitch pattern like jay walkers or monkey socks. I don’t know. I can’t do those…just can’t master knitting a patter in the round on socks. I can do it on hats, but not socks. :shrug:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]