Hat pattern

I am trying to knit a hat for my husband. I have made two so far and they are much better suited to fit my three year old then my husband. Soooo I am not sure what to do.

I changed needles and am knitting this on on size 12.75 needles circular (its what was free atm). How can I figure out what is enough cast on to get the right size? I have cast on 72 right now.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Nell

You just need to do a little math! :smiley:

Knit a gauge swatch and figure out how many stitches per inch you’re knitting…for example, if your DH’s head is 24 inches around, you should make the hat a few inches less than that around. If you’re knitting 4 stitches per inch, and you want to make it, say, 22 inches around, you would cast on 88 stitches.

ahhh!
Thanks much!!
hugs!
Nell

Eiline…Hi! This is the basic hat pattern that I use for all hats :smiley: I have it printed & in one of my knitting notebooks :smiley:

Rebecca,

might you have a pattern for a stocking cap ala Night Before Christmas???

I was looking and looking, and to no avail…I think I need to MAKE these patterns…I have em in my head for what I want…but can’t find the patterns anywhere…sigh…

actually there is one on knittingpatterncentral.com listed as “long stocking cap.”

here is the link to the actual pattern. http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/hatlongstockingcap.htm

:smiley: I was going for the same one :wink:

lol…it isn’t the one i used, mine came from holiday knits but i gotta say…as much as i love the look of that hat and thought i would want to make 20 of them with funky colors…i ended up hating that pattern because it took FOREVER to get done for some reason. i think my problem with it is i had gotten use to hats that took me a day (and that includes working time! ;)) to finish and that one took me nearly a week. blah! i need instant gratification ya know…lol

that’s the one I am working off of…

I’m doing it flat however…and doing the decreases at the same rate they are…I just don’t want to mess with DPN’s right now…as I will be doing socks shortly.

I did find this pattern tho…if I wanted to make the tail longer, I’d just add more regular knit rows before the decreases?

http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=23