Hat - messed up gauge

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and to knitting. All I’ve done so far is scarves. I decided to try my hand at circular knitting. I’m using this pattern http://www.knitpicks.com/Easy+Peasy+Hat+Pattern_PD50694220.html
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-peasy-hat if you’re on Rav.
watched the video that went along with it, too. I wasn’t really sure how to do a swatch on the circular needles, so I guessed :aww: I used size 8 needles in stead of 10 which was called for in the pattern. I cast on 112 stitches for a 21" head. Turns out I knit 4.5 stitches per inch… should have been more like 96 cast on. I only have the brim part done, is there any way to correct this at this point? Also, I know it’s really important not to have the stitches twisted in circ. knitting. Mine has one twist, but, doesn’t it need to have that as you go from knitting the front to knitting the back?
Sorry if this makes no sense… I’m really new to knitting and trying to work it all out. Thanks!
Ashley

What weight yarn are you using? For worsted weight I usually use size 7 or 8 needles and cast on about 80-90 stitches. The stitches should not be twisted and once they are it’s really best to start over. If it’s too large I’d start over as well.

There are ton of similar hats in different weights and all are knit the same way.

These are all on Ravelry and I listed them that way so you could see what they say about them since you’re new.
DK
Aran/worsted
Worsted
Aran/Worsted
Bulky

I agree with Jan, you can’t straighten out a twist and it doesn’t need to have one in it. Start over with 88 sts as that’s divisible by 8 for the decs; you actually want it a bit smaller than the head measurement, hats stretch.

OK, thank you. I was hoping this one would fit my hubby or something… haha. I’ll just start over…:knitting:

Just an update… started over, cast on 88 (thanks for the suggestion). No twists or turns this time!! I am using Vanna’s Choice Purple Prints. I also bought some great Patons wool to use when I am a little better and frog a little less. I’m about 2 inches in… wish me luck!!!

Crossed Fingers