Has Anyone Used Bernat CottonTots?

[b][color=red]I bought some Bernat CottonTots for a baby blanket for the upcoming grandbaby as I heard it’s best to make cotton instead of acrylic due to the fire retardancy … I only have two rows done and it’s sort of a weird type of yarn … it seems to have little cotton fuzzies coming off it in places almost like it’s fraying … I don’t want to get it all made up and then find it’s not as good as I thought it would be and it has fuzzy things sticking up everywhere … figure it might fall apart in the washer …

Has anyone used this and had any luck with it? Do I just keep on going or start with something else?

Toby[/color][/b]

I’ve used it, and really liked it. I made a cardigan for my friend’s daughter and she wore it lots and they never had problems with it. Also I made a cloth out of my leftovers that I use for cleaning the bathroom and it is the BEST.

[color=blue][b]Gee then maybe it’s just this particular skein … did you find fuzzy cotton bits coming off it as you knit?

Do you live as far west as BC by chance?

Toby[/b][/color]

I used them before for baby blanket and they are soft …though after i m done with the blanket it look really wash out or rather old like being used…but it so soft and i love them…so it the baby …keep going …u will like it

I used it for some baby hats. yes, mine did kind of pill a little when I was knitting with it.

[b][color=blue]The blanket is for my daughter who is VERY picky and a “just so” meticulous kind of person so I want it to be something she will use and it won’t look worn … perhaps I should use acrylic and mention not to use it as a nighttime blanket … maybe make something else with the cotton.

Toby[/color][/b]

I wouldn’t worry about the fuzzies, they’ll probably come off in the wash. You could knit up a swatch and wash it and see how it comes out.

sue

I think that I had some fuzzies but it wasn’t bad. I think cotton is like that a bit anyways. If it’s really bad, perhaps you got a skein from a bad batch or something?? Could you return it?

I live even further west than you do…Vancouver Island. :muah:

I knit a baby blanket with Cotton Tots and did have a lot of fuzzies with the yarn. I think my hands were “sticky” so it pulled a lot of fiber off of the yarn. However, when I washed it it was beautiful and had no fuzzies to be seen.

[b][color=blue]Oh I wish you were closer, you could come to our knitting meetups … :hug:

I have found that with some of the yarns I’ve bought at Zellers that the quality isn’t the same and this is where I got this particular cotton … I’ve found knots in some stuff I’ve bought there, mostly the Red Heart … I don’t know if to continue with it or find another cotton somewhere else … or perhaps it’s just a faulty ball …

Toby[/color][/b]

I got my yarn at Hobby Lobby and ran into a few knots here and there. The fuzziness happened on every ball and I think I used 8 of them.

It is nice because it is so inexpensive and it does wash up nicely and becomes softer. However, if you want a nicer cotton yarn Blue Sky has a beautiful organic cotton yarn.

[b]I haven’t heard of Blue Sky … maybe I can find it online … hmm, does yarn bought online contribute to stash or is it only yarn you buy in person??? There’s one for ya!

Toby[/b]

Here!

:teehee: I buy a lot of yarn on-line…it is hard to say it isn’t part of the stash, but since I’m not “handing” over the credit card personally for swiping I feel better about it!

OOOHH … I found out that an LYS in Vancouver carries it … and I’m OFF!

Toby

Hi. I love Bernat’s Satin yarn but have not tried the cotton tots yarn. I have a 10 month old daughter and I’ve knit a few sweaters for her. I would just be careful about the fuzzies coming off the yarn… babies love to suck on blankets and sleeves and things so I would be concerned about all the fibers getting in the baby’s mouth. I have only just started giving my daughter a blanket to sleep with at night and before dressed her in the sleepsacks. Good luck and congratulations on the little one!!
Kristy