Hank, ball or skein?

Saw this on FB. (Personally I make it simpler… if it’s wound into a round thing it’s a ball. If it’s a long loop or twisted into a twist that needs to be wound first it’s a hank. If comes as something you can pull from the end or knit from the outside it’s a skein. If it was previously a hank or skein that was wound into a “cake” then it’s a cake.) But you you may call them anything you want. Fred works, but don’t expect me to know what you’re talking about. :joy:


So, how do you tell the difference between a hank and a skein? The pictures look the same to me.:wink:

One is horizontal and one is vertical. Duh. Just kidding! :joy: I have no idea about that one…that’s just silly.

Some thing, different names! For me a hank is big loops of yarn tied together like this:

A skein is a twisted hank:

and a ball is: