Good Buttonhole?

I’m working on a cardigan and before I start on the right side with its’ buttonholes I want to know what I’m doing. So, I spent two[B][U] (2)[/U][/B] full days last week practicing buttonholes and other than the YO, K2, kind I could not come up with one that I am satsified with. There were good and bad qualities about them all. Can someone please give me GREAT instructions for making a GREAT buttonhole that is worked over three stitches and will not stretch out of shape to the point of being to big for the buttonhole? I admit, I am somewhat of a perfectionest, but dog gone it, if I’m going to spend all that time making the cardigan I surely don’t want the buttonholes to scream home made instead of handcrafted. Ya’ll get the idea. Thanks for any help you can give.
Sandra from SC

buttons were, until 100, 150 years ago, ostentatious!

and knitting was the way of the working class (ie not people who used buttons) so knitted buttonholes are a new idea!

in US, puritans used buckles to close things (vest, shoes, and even decorated hats with buckles no ostentatious buttons for them. (others like amish, also shunned buttons as show off and didn’t (still don’t!) use them.
Napolian, a showy man, loved them, and not only had lots and lots of buttons on his uniform, but made showy buttons part of military uniforms… (look how rich we are… we can waste money on brass buttons with no real function!)

so knitting button holes is a rather new skill (and there aren’t many great designs!)

the best buttonholes, hand down, are Lucy Neatby’s cross knit button bands… these are faced button bands, with buttonhole with grafted sides… they are couture!
you can find on her web page, TRADE WINDS --look in bosun chest of tricks!

there are easier buttonholes, but none more elegant.

[B]easy is 3 row buttonhole[/B]

row1 : K2tog YO, YO.

row 2: work to yarn overs. Knit (or purl as needed) into first yarn over, drop second
(at this point button hole looks like cr*p… don’t be alarmed!)

R3, work to buttonhole. KNIT (or Purl) INTO BUTTONHOLE (not into stitch!) drop stitch

(at this point it looks better, but not great.

work 4th row.
Admire a nice looking buttonhole.

this a a Vertical, ie | an upright buttonhole.

for neat hozizontal buttonholes, i like the [B]1 row buttonhole[/B].

knit up buttonhole. Drop yarn
slip 2 stitches to right needle.
Pass first slipped stitch over second
slip another stitch, Pass second stitch over third
(you are binding/casting off with out working stitch)

repeat as needed.
when you have cast off enough stitches to make the button hole long enough, return the last stitch to left needle
Turn work.

Yarn, (dropped in step 1!) is on left needle
Use yarn to cable cast on as many stitches as you cast/bound off–+1. work cast on tight!

turn work again.
transfer last cast on stitch to left needle (next to the last stitch of buttonhole bottom)
Knit (or purl as appropriate) 2 tog (the last cast on with last cast off.)

continue row.

Thank you. I’ll give these a try.

Another vote for the one-row bh. I’ve used it many times…always comes out great. Stays very true.

One suggestion…when doing cable co +1, bring yarn forward BEFORE slipping last co st onto left ndl. This helps elmin a visible loop on the back side.

cam

Of Troy,

I have never seen anything about Lucy Neatby before. Her site looks great. However I don’t see her buttonhole listed among the techniques. What am I doing wrong? Thanks so much for telling us about this lady. Merigold

Is this the buttonhole that you are describing?

~Tik

Yup that’s the one… (the color makes it easier to see how it was done…

she used to have a tutorial on how to do it on her web page, but i don’t see it (i even missed the sample you found!)

and Merry, glad you like miss Neatby. she is a fun person… she hosted a knitting exhibit in Nova Scotia a few years ago.
every entry was a toilet paper roll cover… i don’t know if pictures are still available, but it was a great exhibit.

her socks are pretty spectacular, too…

and Merry, glad you like miss Neatby. she is a fun person… she hosted a knitting exhibit in Nova Scotia a few years ago.
every entry was a toilet paper roll cover… i don’t know if pictures are still available, but it was a great exhibit.

:chair: That’s funny! When you think about it a toilet paper cover has many possibilities, about anything you could do with a hat, too, would work for a toilet paper cover. So, the sky is the limit.

Yes, I did like her site a lot. Thanks again.

Merigold