Going from purl to knit?

I don’t know how I did this wrong but in my sweater pattern in the beginning I’m doing a stockinette stitch for quite a few rows. then it says after the last knitted decrease row to cast on an extra 13 stitches and knit the round and then knit and decrease at markers and do this back and forth til I have so many stitches between certain markers.
I started to do the knit stitch and noticed that it switched - the purl stitches were showing up on the knit side :frowning: So, I had to rip it out.
Is there a trick to doing this? Or did I just twist the work??

You maybe flipped it inside out and started knitting the wrong direction. After you CO 13 sts, put the needle they’re on in the right hand and knit the next sts without turning, keep on working in the round.

Yeah – I’d guess that you just started knitting the wrong direction accidentally, I did that once and it took me awhile to figure out how I had messed up.

This just isn’t working. I’m ready to continue with knit only and right now on my round needles the purl side is on the inside if I start to knit, the pattern will change. How do I do this??

Maybe you could take a picture…? The purl side IS supposed to be on the inside.

basically how to go from a purl, knit, knit row. OR I can try and post a pic. but on my sampler trying to do a knit, purl, knit, knit - I can’t get the second knit without it coming out on the purl side.

I think you need to take it out to where you cast on the extra sts. Redo the cast on, then making sure they’re on the right needle when you start again, knit the other end of the row on the other needle end. Bring the 2 ends together to form a circle and just start knitting. You don’t knit the new cast on stitches until you go around the circle and get to them on the next round.

no the problem is just going from knit, purl to knit, knit, knit and keep knitting. Maybe there isn’t a problem. But I did the first part of the pattern doing one row purl and one row knit. Now it’s calling for constant knits which changes the pattern. Is that normal?? Or should the pattern still be all knits on one side and purls on the other?

The pattern wants you to continue in stockinette which is done differently in the round than flat. When you knit flat, back and forth, you knit one row and purl one row and alternate to make stockinette. When you join and knit in the round, you knit every round to get stockinette. If you purl a round, you’ll end up with garter stitch. The pattern (stockinette) doesn’t change, but you change the way you make it.

OMG!!! I don’t know what I just did but I think it’s working!! Maybe I just needed to take a break and get away from it and then go back when my brain has a rest. I’ve been knitting all day long today.

To keep it stockinette in the round, join the ends and knit every round. I think that’s what your pattern is telling you. Here’s a video on knitting in the round - at 2:10 it shows the join http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/All_Video_Tutorials?intmedid=Left2:Videos#knittingintheround
and the circular knitting video here http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques shows how to knit in the round at about 2:30 and goes on to explain that you just keep knitting and knitting to get stockinette.