Knitting pattern calls for 17 stitches in width and 23 rows in height using worsted weight yarn in stockinette. Knotted a swatch using yarn that calls for 18 -20 stitches over 4 inches using a number 8 needle. My swatch only ended up being 3 and 1/2 inches but when I counted my number of stitchrs over 2 inches I got 9 and a half stitches which matches the yarn count, but again my swatch was only 3 and 1/2 wide. I did make the swatch wider than the 17 inches it called for. I knitted each additional edge and bottom and top with three garter rows Thoughts on what I need to do? If I go up a needle size will I have to many stitches?
What is the name of your pattern and designer?
It would probably be a good idea to knit a larger swatch say 25-30sts using a size larger or even two sizes larger needle and measure over the middle 4 inches. Right now you’re getting 19sts/4". It’ll also give you a better idea of the drape and feel of the knit fabric with your yarn.
You want to come as close as possible to the pattern stitch gauge of 17sts/4" since the size you’re knitting is based on that gauge. That’s assuming you’re making an item where size matters and not a scarf or shawl for example.
It’s the pullover drops design fresh lime
https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=10509&cid=17
Very pretty sweater and well worth the extra time to get the gauge right. Which size are you making and which yarn?
Size 7-8. Using cascade pacific prints in denim. I went up a needle size and it is perfect. Thanks for your continued help
Excellent! The Pacific prints are lovely. Have fun with the pullover.