Garter stitch

I don’t know why the garter s doesn’t look the same like before

beginning garter (in the round) st:[U]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/passions_song/DSCN0188.jpg[/U]

the 72 sts what I was working on that was supposed to be garter st (on reg needles though): http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/passions_song/DSCN0187.jpg

http://www.shetland-wool-brokers.zetnet.co.uk/fp2.htm

When you knit every row when working flat you get garter. When you’re knitting in the round and knit every round, you get stockinette st because you only work on one side instead of both sides. So to get garter st, you need to knit one round and purl the next one.

Does that help any?

it says to purl 3 rows, knit 3 rows to get the garter st

so I still do it the way you said? (k,p,k […repeat 5 times])?

That isn’t garter stitch if you do it that way, you’d get stockinette and reverse stockinette. Garter st is k one round, purl one round, knit one round purl one round, etc. Or is it garter rib?

the instructions in that pattern for that stitch are not written very clearly.
That Garter pattern, when knitted [B]in the round[/B]
will be like this
3 Rows Purl
3 Rows Knit

when knitted [B]flat[/B] [B]on 2 needles[/B] it will need to be like this.
Purl 1 row
Knit 1 Row
Purl 2 Rows
Knit 1 Row
Purl 1 row.

I think like Jints says, the instructions are not very clear for the Garter Stitch Pattern when you switch from circs to straights. Adding to that is the kind of dual terminology - garter stitch in the general sense as Sue described or Garter Stitch [B]Pattern[/B] like the instructions call it.

But I think in the picture it looks like 3 rows of garter, 3 rows of stockinette. So in the round wouldn’t it be purl a row, knit a row, purl a row, knit 3 rows? Then on straights it’d be purl 3 rows and knit 3 rows?

Yeah, it’s confusing all right… The way it’s written is like a garter rib pattern (3 rows purl, 3 rows knit) in the round. But if you do the same thing flat, you get a garter [B]ridge[/B] pattern, which is slightly different. Too bad there’s not a better shot of the detail, which would help out all of us.

I think it’s supposed to be like the garter [B]ridge[/B] pattern - I tried downloading it to see if the pic would be bigger, but it was blurry, so no help there.

Sue - I thought garter rib was K and P within the same row (i.e., k4, p1, repeat across row) - same principle as “regular” ribbing but more knit st with an occasional purl on RS to make the vertical ridge?

I’m really confused right now :-\

This isn’t a straight garter stitch pattern that you are doing based on the instructions which say k 3 rows, p 3 rows. If you do k 1 row p1 row you will get stockinette when you are knitting flat and you don’t want that.

Yeah, we did get a little side tracked…

I think, from the way the pattern starts and is worded, that you would be safe in doing how Jints has it written: In the round, purl 3 rows, knit 3 rows - this gives you 3 rows of reverse stockinette and 3 rows of stockinette. On straights purl a row, knit a row, purl 2 rows, knit a row, purl a row.

so I how will I accomplish 15 rows with this alternative: “purl a row, knit a row, purl 2 rows, knit a row, purl a row” ?

Thanks =)

You just repeat those 6 rows again, until you have required #rows.
So you do this.
p,k,p,p,k,p,p,k,p,p,k,p,p,k,p.
It will become clear when you do it.:thumbsup:

Thought I replied to this earlier…

Yes, that’s garter rib, maybe alternating stockinette and rev stockinette is called something else, but I’ve seen it referred to as `rib’… like here - http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/rib.htm and one other pattern I can’t find at the moment… Thought they called it a garter rib.

Maybe any purl row(s) that break a stockinette background can be “rib”, not just in the general sense like you put at the top of a sock or bottom of a sweater and not necessarily horizontal or vertical. And maybe it’s a geographical thing also (you say tomato, I say tomahto).

And because I don’t have [I]nearly[/I] enough patterns stored on my computer, now that Short Row Rib is on there, too! :slight_smile:

LOL! Happy to introduce you to a new pattern. It’s a cool one to knit.