Frustrated with St-St - Help Needed

I’m fairly new to knitting, but have always had trouble doing the stockinette stitch at any real pace. For example, I’ll do a row of purling and then when I go to do the row of knitting, it’s so slow and tedious! I can’t get the yarn away from my left needle very well. I end up having to dig down to get the yarn away from the needle so I can then go upward with the knit stitch (make sense?). :wall:

I know I’m not knitting too tightly (even though that’s how it feels when I can’t get the yarn away from the needle) because when I finish a row and go back to examine my work, the stitches are so long and hole-y and loose! Argh! I don’t know what to do or how to make this easier/quicker. :cry:

If you have any suggestions so that I don’t lose my mind, I’d appreciate it!

Just practice it. What size yarn and needles are you using, they may not go well together. Look at the purl video, you might be wrapping the purl st the wrong way which makes the st tighter and that would make it harder to get into the knit st. You should wrap the same direction around the needle that you do with the knit stitch.

Hi,

Suzeeq is right it’s ALL about practice. You can also learn from your mistakes. I learned so much from mine. When I first started I would only do garter stitch, all purling instead of all knit stitches because mine knit sts where so so tight even though I was knitting so so loose. I know it can be so frustrating but you WILL get it!

I knitted every day and it still took me 1 1/2 months to get my “system” down. That included how I held my yarn/needles…where I needed to knit tigher and which I needed to knit looser and making it look good at the same time.

Hang in there :slight_smile:
Heather

Suzeeq-
You’re right. I’m doing the purl stitch wrong. I just watched the continental video. Ugh. Well, I guess I’m going to have to get used to doing it the right way and in the long run, I’m sure it’ll help a lot. I just hope my fingers get used to it quickly! There’s so much I want to knit…
Thanks so much for helping me out!:muah:

Mary Jo

PS: I’m using size 7 needles for a baby hat even though the pattern called for size 6. Seven was the smallest I had!

Before you start that finger retraining program, check out Annie Modesitt’s site on combination knitting. http://www.anniemodesitt.com

There is nothing wrong with wrapping the yarn around the “wrong” way. On the knit side of the fabric you need to knit into the back of the stitch to avoid the tight twisted stitch. Personally, I think it’s good to learn to do both. When knitting and purling in the round I find myself using the continental style as shown in the knitting help videos; when knitting large blocks of stockinette stitch I usually do the combined knitting stitch because I find it faster on a flat piece. That’s the beauty of knitting, there are different but not necessarily wrong ways to achieve the result that you are looking for.

I used wrong way' to denoteopposite way from how most of us wrap’. As long as a person knits the knit sts tbl, it keep the sts from being twisted.