Frustrated and not sure what I am doing wrong :(

I am a beginning knitter and my first project turned out fairly well. I decided to try my hand at a sweater, and even though the pattern is not [I]difficult[/I] per say, I am getting frustrated with it. First off: the pattern says - decrease 1 stitch on each side every 8 rows. so does this mean I decrease when I START the 8th row or do I decrease starting the row AFTER it?

My second problem: the pattern is a basic moss-rib pattern: RS- k1 *k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1 (all the way across ending with knit stitch)
WS- p2 *k2, p1, k2, p2 (all the way across)

when the knit and purl stitches line up to form the ribbing (which to me looks like stockinette) it looks like my stitches are twisted. So I guess they are hung on the needle wrong… and I guess I have to frog it… again. :doh:

Just for informations sake, I am doing continental knitting and I am comparing the way I am doing it with the videos on here and it is the same. Likewise I have never had this problem before. :help:

If anyone can help and knows what I am doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Dec [B]on[/B] the 8th row, 7 rows in between. Moss stitch isn’t ribbing, looking at the pattern you might think so because of the alternating knit and purl sts. But on the following row you knit into what looks like a purl st, and purl in what looks like a knit st, except for the 2 edge sts which are knit on both rows. That produces moss or seed stitch. If your sts are looking twisted, you may be either knitting into the back loop on a knit st, or wrapping your yarn differently on the purl st.

Thank you :slight_smile: I think I got it now.