FO: the ugliest scarf in the world gets a makeover!

[B]The ugliest scarf in the world:[/B]

[B]
…gets a makeover:[/B]

[B]NOTE:[/B] [COLOR=Red]I hated[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]the way the colors in this Noro Silk Gargen yarn clumped up back in 2009.[/COLOR]
I only wore the ugly scarf once. Ugh.

Recently however, I had tried something new with another impossible Noro colorway…one that also promised to turn out ugly: [B]instead of casting on just 25-30 stitches, I cast on 216 stitches! [/B] And worked garter stitch until the two skeins were exhausted. It made the perfect scarf.

So as I frogged this blue-green-teal-black ugly scarf, I cast on [B]225 stitches with a US10 [/B]needle…and worked garter stitch until the 2.3 skeins were gone. I reserved some turquoise for the fringe.

While this scarf isn’t the most beautiful specimen, it’s at least wearable without getting sick. I do actually like it! :happydance: With fringe, it’s 86" long. It’s 4.5" wide. It has been soaked and blocked.

Here is the other Noro scarf, also worked widewise (a few months ago) using 2 skeins of Noro Kureyon:

Makeover successful. I like it much better the long way too. Good idea.

It is prettier now. I like it a lot.

Actually, I like the [B]original[/B] better! I guess my taste tends towards “ugly”!

The new scarf is pretty, too. Glad you’re happy with it now.

Ah, an elegant swan! Knitting scarves lengthwise is just about the only way I can get through one. Even the long, long rows seem preferable to 6 feet of knitting in the short direction. Beautiful colors all around.

I agree with you. That made a big difference in eye appeal. I have one just like your first one that also needs to be made into something else.

Much better! The first scarf wasn’t really ugly, just ho-hum, not its gorgeous!!

Anazing. The two scarves don’t even look as though they are knit with the same yarn. Great choice - the second one, that is.

Goes to show how important the right pattern is for a certain yarn.

This is amazing - how different the second attempt came out. I like it a lot. Clever of you! Congrats!

Wow - it looks so much better!

What a good idea.

It looks classier. It looks like it could be worn with a business suit on a cold day and that would never have been possible with the first one.

Hey artlady I love the way you knitted that in one long length. I must try that myself. Looks gorgeous.

CanNOT believe that’s the same yarn! Love the makeover.

It’s almost unanimous! I’m gonna have to try this, too!

Very clever. But I like both versions!!

it seems you can do most anything regarding knitting and it turns out perfect!