Fitted Sweater?

I was looking at the sweaters at http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com and i got to thinkin’ “Hmm I bet I could make a sweater hoodie with pointy sleaves and a pointy bottom. :knitting: Oh wait… how do I make a fitted sweater? :frog:” Thus is my dilema. I have no idea how to make a fitted sweater. I’m thinking I just decrease stitches where my body gets smaller and increase stitches where my body increases but what about the back? Can someone help me. At lease send me a pattern soo I can get the general idea. Thank you!

If you look at whiteliesdesigns.com, under Ladies patterns and then pullovers, there are 2 free patterns – one is for a Shapely Tank and the other for a shapely tee.

They are both shaped using short rows.

This might give you an idea for how to shape a garment.

Hope this helps!
Susan

Yes, the Shapely Tank is a good place to start.

I just answered a similar question in another thread. Short rows will help you shape your sweater to celebrate your curves;)

Here’s a short-row tutorialfrom Joan McGowan-Michael of White Lies Design. Short rows will help provide ease in the chest region without changing the overall shape of the sweater. Simply increasing to allow for ‘cuppage’ will not be as shapely and will end up with a less fitted sweater.

Also, I find it helpful to knit my fitted sweaters from top down so I can regularly try on the sweater as I knit it. The hoody can be added afterwards or you can leave your back collar stitches live on a stitch holder and make your hood after you’ve finished the body.

To accentuate the waist, the easiest thing to do is to decrease the stitches on both sides evenly. Some gals are short torsoed, others have longer torsos, so I can’t really tell you how often to decrease and how much. Check your gauge and calculate from that.

Another tool for bringing in the waist is with ribbing. I often bring in both ribbing and decreased stitches to provide a fitted effect.

A more complicated technique is to use stitch patterns that constrict the fabric like crossovers and cabling. I’ve done this with mixed results but when it works it looks amazing. It provides a nice focal point and a corset-belt effect around the waist.

BTW, I used the ribbing and decreasing technique for my Midsummer’s Night Dream sweater.. I also made leaf-pointed sleeves for it too. Great minds, eh?

Have fun!

how do you short row shape on a top down sweater?

this really helps me out… alrighty all i need to do now is make up my stitch patterns and give it a whack… but of course i have to do a gauge swatch first… and measure my body to see where i need to increase and decrease… thank you for all your help… a pattern and a picture will be on their way…