Fist time: Multiple Color Knitting?

Hey all-I’m new to the world of knitting (only one successful scarf so far), and have a question. I’d like to knit another scarf, but a very long, narrow one (like 6-8 feet) in multiple colors. I was probably thinking about making it around 5-6" wide with 4 or 5 colors and frayed/tassled edges.

However, I don’t know how to knit with multiple colors like that. My last scarf was multiple colors but in blocks, so I cut off the thread in between. For this one, I picture myself with 4 or 5 balls spread out all over the floor in front of me, but I just don’t know how to integrate the stitches together.

Are there any videos/tutorials out there anyone could point me to, or someone good at typing these things out (I can be a little slow).

Thanks so much!

Do you want all the colors knit together, or stripes? What do you want the final scarf to look like?

I wanted stripes-so essentially 1" wide stripes 6-8’ long down the scarf-they don’t have to overlap at all, just essentially join six one inch scarves down the length of the whole scarf.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

There are two ways to go about this–intarsia and the easy way. :wink:

For intarsia, you’d have all the yarn attached to your needles at once. You’d need to do a cable cast on, switching colors (there’s video of cable cast on) and then knit the stripes, making sure you twist the yarns to avoid a hole (also video on that here.)

The easy way is to knit it lenghwise on a very long circular needle, working back and forth. You’d knit for an inch with one color, then switch to another for the next inch. Long rows, but pretty simple.