First time with knitting in the round

this pattern of this santa hat is fine until l start to decrease the stitches could someone please help after you get to five the numbers don’t even out…my interpretation of this is knit 5 then do the knit 2 for the whole row right?? :shrug: …but your left with one stitch…l don’t know reading patterns have always drove me crasy why they can’t speak english or add a translation link… :happydance:
With circular needles, cast on 50 stitches, holding a double strand of Poof Natural White. Join being careful not to twist sts when joining. Working around, purl for 3” for hat band. Change to one strand of Poof Lacquer Red and knit in St St on 50 stitches for 7” for crown of hat.

Begin dec rows as follows (when diameter gets too small for circular needles, change to the double point needles.

Decrease rows:
• Knit 8, k2 together to end
Knit 7 rows
• Knit 7, k2 together to end
Knit 3 rows
• Knit 6, k2 together to end
Knit 3 rows
• Knit 5, k2 together to end
Knit 3 rows
• Knit 4, k2 together to end Knit 2 rows
• Knit 3, k2 together to end
Knit 2 rows
• Knit 2, k2 together to end
Knit 2 rows
• Knit k2 together to end
Knit 2 rows
• Knit 2 together until 1 st remains

Make Poof pom pom for tip of hat and attach.

If a longer top is desired for the hat, buy one more ball of Poof and inc the number of knit rows between dec rows from 5 to 7 rows.

©Crystal Palace Yarns and used with their permission.

I read it as:

Decrease rows:

Knit 8, K2tog, and then repeat this sequence until the end of the round. (K8, K2tog, K8, K2tog…)

candice

You are right…after 5 is a problem. I would just wing it from there substituting so that you end up with and even number. Maybe something like:

Next decrease 12 sts, k5 then k2t to end 12-5=7…yep, that is a problem. I would k4 instead (12-4=8)

Next decrease 8 sts, k4 then k2t to end

Next decrease 6 sts, k2 then k2t to end?

I had something similar happen with my hat, but I just assumed it was because I wasn’t paying attention and miscounted on a row. Anyway, I wound up with 1 extra stitch at the the end of each round, which I knit and then started the next round from the beginning. I’m still not sure if it was me or the math that was off!

That’s it! I was thinking the hat was going to look a little odd with all those knits at the beginning of the row then all those k2t one after another! :roflhard:

So Candice, have tried everything like K8 and then k2together all the way and it was awful…took that apart and now l am just knitting 8 then decrease 1 and finish off the row with just normal knit stitches…so you think it is do the whole decrease Knit 8, K2tog, and then repeat this sequence until the end of the round. (K8, K2tog, K8, K2tog…) okay will try again …

Thanks everyone for the help…Love this hat…so cute all my sons friends told me l better be making them one …LOL…and there 14years old …not too old for Christmas is nice to see in September… :muah: