First time sock knitter. Need help starting heel flap

So I’m making my first pair of socks using dpns. I did the cuff and leg no problem, but I’m confused about how the pattern says to start the heel. I’m making the 32 stitch size.

The heel is worked over 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) sts.

1. Next row (RS): K 13 (14, 15, 16, 17, 18) sts, turn.
  2. P across 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) sts.
  3. Row 1 (RS): * K1, sl 1 *, rep from * to * across.
  4. Row 2 (WS): Sl 1, p across.
  5. Rep rows 1 and 2 until you have worked 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36) rows in total

What is the purpose of those first two steps?
Why would you only knit 16 then purl all 32?
Wouldn’t that leave an awkward little half row?
I haven’t seen it on any other sock pattern I’ve found.

Well, I tried to omit the first two steps, but the stitches on the ends of the needle seemed wrong. So I ripped back to the beginning of the flap. I guess those two rows are necessary? I still don’t understand why, though.

The first row takes advantage of the yarn placement and starts the turns for the heel. Row 2 completes the full length of the heel [26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36)] sts. From here on you’ll be working across the these sts for the heel. The single half row won’t be noticeable after completing the heel rows.

What is the name of your pattern?

This is the pattern.
I’m having a different issue now, though. There’s one stitch on the end of the needle that it keeps telling me to slip, so it’s just a big loop. It seems wrong.

That looks like a mistake in the pattern. Under projects on the Ravelry page, this knitter offers a solution to the problem by starting row 1 with a slip 1.
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Kimboblanch/basic-topdown-sock

Ravelry lists an errata page but I can’t see any corrections on the Dummies website.

Yeah. I looked up the slip heel and found the correct way to do it. I think I’ll try following a different pattern going forward.

Yes, this one doesn’t seem to be well curated. Silver’s socks, which Jan linked to recently has reliable tutorials for various kinds of socks, toe up, cuff down, etc.
https://www.kristinbelle.com/socks

1 Like