Fiber Trends Gelato Bag

I see on your web site that you have already made this bag. I am attempting, but am having trouble following the directions. I did the cast on of 40 stitches, but when I try to make the first row after that there aren’t enough stitches. It seems to me that you need 48 stitches to make the 1st row. And not only that, I don’t understand how the bottom of the bag is made. It seems that the directions start at the bottom, but if you cast on 40 stitches on circular needles, the bag has a hole in the bottom? I don’t find anything to direct you to close the hole. I’m sooooo confused. Thanks for any help you can give. :thinking:

Hi Bille,

I don’t have this pattern, but if it is like most, the bottom is probably knit back and forth on the circulars for the bottom. Then you’ll probably pick up stitches around the rectangle when you have finished to make the larger number of sts (48). If this doesn’t make sense, give us the first couple of lines of the pattern so someone can better assist.

I have this pattern!
And I’m almost done but I somehow ran out of the Casecade 220 just half a strap and the flap short. I’m pretty sure my gauge is ok… but oh well.
That aside…
You do get your 48 stitches when you do round 2 with the making of 1 stitch at the stated locations. There are 8 M1’s to bring you from 40 to 48.
And then, in the section for “prepare for felting” it mentions using the cast on tails to close the bottom hole.

Anything else you need to know…let me know.
Until I find a few more yards to finish, it’s unfelted at this point. I perhaps lost count of the rounds to make it 13 inches. It says to go for 48 rounds and i may have gone an extra few. No big woop!
:thumbsup:

I think I understand what you mean by knitting a rectangle and then picking up the stitches around. I don’t think this one is like that because she lists rounds and not rows.

Here is the beginning of the pattern.

Begin with a 16" circlular needle. Cast on 40 sts. Place marker on needle and join into round, being careful that sts are not twisted.

Rounds 1,3,5,7,9, & 11: knit

Round 2: k1, m1, k1, m1, k17, [m1, k1] 3 times, m1, k17, m1, k1, m1. (48 sts) This seemed to me that you needed to start with 48 sts instead of 40 sts.

Round 4: k1, m1, k3, m1, k17, m1, k3, m1, k1, m1, k3, m1, k17, m1, k3, m1. (56sts)

Roound 6: k2, m1, k4, m1, k17, m1, k4, m1, k3, m1, k4, m1, k17, m1, k4, m1, k1. (64 sts)

There are 3 more even rows, but I think you get the idea. When you finish the other even rows, you are to continue knitting until there are a total of 48 rows including the cast on. From there it goes on to instruct about the handles. The instructions never go back to closing up the bottom.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you Binkykat. I know what I was doing now. I was interpreting the k1, m1, to equal 3 stitches and for this pattern, it equals 2 stitches. I now that I look a little closer, I see the instructions for closing the bottom of the bag. Thank you sooooo much. However, I do have a lot of unraveling to do! :figureditout:

I’m glad you brought this up as it made me read the pattern with fresh eyes… I think i have realized my problem of running short on the cascade wool… I counted 48 or so rounds NOT from the cast on row :doh:
Time to frog!!! :frog:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

I bought this pattern while on vacation a week ago and made a pink bag. Was proud of myself! But…I did the handles wrong! Instead of going across the front and back of the bag, they are on the left and the right. Hubby said no one would know unless I told them.

I am almost finished making my second one in blue and did the handles right! Now I have to sew up the bottom and felt it. I love how they look on the cover of the pattern. But I am using up wool from my stash, so of course they don’t look as good! But that’s okay, I will get the right yarn once my stash runs out!

Will post pics once I finish them with buttons, etc.