Felting question

I am interested in trying to make a felted bag, but recall reading somewhere that it only works in a top load washer because of the agitation. I have a front load - does that mean I won’t be able to get the desired result?

Top loaders are often recomened because theya re easier to stop mid cycle to check on th progress to prevent over felting.
It is perfectly possible o felt in a front loader, although it is preferable to have the ability to open the door mid cycle to check things.

Dont forget you can also felt by hand although it does take a bit more effort and elbow grease!

My advice is to go ahead and try it. I’ve had limited success using the front loader; that being said, my last felted projects ended up going through twice (door lock issue) and twice was too many.

Lots of other people use what they have and what they have is a front loader.

I’ve got a front loader and never had a problem felting anything. My door locks, too, but when I push the stop/pause button it will unlock after about 10 seconds.

Thanks! I’ll go ahead and give it a try. I didn’t want to go through all of the effort to knit the bag only to find out that I wouldn’t be able to felt it once it was done!

A friend of mine has a Wonder Washer and that’s what she uses to felt her items in. She bought it on the Internet just for felting. I may go that route myself.

I’ve got a front loader too and while the door lock issue has frustrated me at times, I still manage to felt projects. I add a pair of old tennis shoes and couple of pair of old jeans to help in the agitation process. Sometimes it takes a couple of cycles, depending on how quickly that particular wool felts. I also add a bit of baking soda to a little bit of detergent. Forgot where I read that baking soda helps with the felting process.