Feather and fan stitch nightmare

I FOUND A BEAUTIFUL PATTERN IN THE “KNIT 2 TOGETHER” BOOK FOR A NECK WARMER USING FEATHER ANS FAN STITCH ON CIRCULAR NEEDLES. THE PATTERN SEEMS SO SIMPLE BUT I MUST NOT BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT, EVERY ROW OR SO I KEEP ENDING UP WITH A TON OF EXTRA STITCHES AND WHILE IT LOOKS…INTERESTING, IT DOES NOT LOOK FULL AND FLUFFY LIKE THE PICTURE. ANY THOUGHTS? THE PATTERN READS AS FOLLOWS :
ROW 1 KNIT,
ROW 2 (K2TOG) 4 TIMES, *(YO,K1 4 TIMES, (K2TOG) 4 TIMES : REPEAT FROM * TO LAST 8 STS, ( YO,K1) 4 TIMES, ( K2TOG) TWICE
ROW 3 : PURL
ROW 4 KNIT

First, it may take several inches for a stitch pattern to look like the picture; some only do after blocking. This is one of the easiest lace patterns as well as one of the easiest to mess up on. Just make sure you do all your YOs and don’t forget any K2togs. It may help you to put stitch markers in between two of the k2tog repeats - (YO,K1 4 TIMES, (K2TOG) 2 TIMES, [B]place marker[/B], (K2TOG) 2 TIMES. This helps you keep track so you know you’ll end up with 12 sts between the markers. I also notice the beginning of the round has (K2TOG) 4 TIMES while the end is (K2TOG) 2 TIMES. I think maybe the beginning should be 2 times as well. That way you have 4 of them in a row. The way it’s written you’d end up with 6 and that won’t come out right.

I have this book and suzeeq is correct- the first part of the pattern is "[k2tog] twice"
Maybe you just wrote it wrong in your post and were doing it correctly. A marker between repeats should help you stay on track. I’ve done lots of feather and fan and you should be able to get the hang of it. Are you using the yarn called for, is your guage the same?

This pattern is pretty universal and can be knit on any size needles, any yarn. But if you’re using the wrong size needles for the yarn it may produce a different look.