Family tradition I need help

Hey everyone I am new to this forum. I have a family stocking that everyone in my family receives either at birth or after marrying into the family. This stocking has been around for 4 generations now. That being said I don’t know what the pattern is and would love to learn it as my great Aunt is very sick and being the only crafty one of my generation have taken up the torch to make them. I’m posting a picture of a blank stocking without name or decoration and was wondering if anyone would walk through how to make the pattern. I know how to crochet and can follow patterns easily but don’t know how to make one up myself. Please help

1 Like

Is your aunt in too bad shape to teach you? I mean, if she is still in shape to help you she would probably be happy to get to spend time with you while you do the work.

I believe I have figured it out through trial and error. And no she is unable to help me anymore.

I think this would be a Size H 5.0 mm hook or an I 5.5 mm.
Row 1: Chain 27. Half double crochet in second chain and each chain across. Ch 1, turn.
Row 2: increase one stitch at beginning of row. HD to last stitch. Inc 1. Ch 1, turn.
Row 3: same as row 2.
Rows 4, 5, 6, 7: HDC across row. Ch 1, turn.
Rows 8 and 9:dec 1 st at beginning and end of row. Ch 1, turn.
Row 10: HDC 18. Turn your work. Continue to work on 18 sts until you have completed 15 rows total.

Make another one. Put the two halves together and join them around the outside with slip stitches.

Change to the white yarn. HDC in each stitch around. Join. Chain 1. Continue for 6 rows.
Turn white cuff under.
This is a rough estimate based on the photo. You will have to compare it to your original stocking and adjust it. This would be really cute in metallic Christmas yarn like Caron Simply Soft. Keep in mind that if you use Simply Soft, you will need to add about 4-5 stitches to the width and about 5 rows to the length. SS says it is Category 4, but it’s very thin. I think it is more like a DK weight. It makes garments smaller than than what the pattern calls for. SS is one that you definitely want to do a swatch gauge with, especially for baby and toddler garments.

1 Like