Fake a fix without frogging?

After I moved my lifeline to the next repeat (of course), I noticed a mistake in my knitting in the previous section. I missed a purl row right before the YO row. I tried to show it in the photo.

Even though it would be easy enough to frog down to one of those K rows, I REALLY don’t want to. Is there a way I can fake a fix? I guess it’s not that noticeable, but it might be once I block it. Maybe I can do a duplicate st or something before/after it’s blocked?

TIA.

boy, I don’t know how to fix it. It looks so pretty though! Will you notice it that much? (well, [I]you[/I] will, but will anyone else!?) :wink:

I don’t think there is anything you can do, but it doesn’t look bad. If it is going to drive you crazy to know it has a little mistake maybe you should rip it back, other wise don’t bother.

I agree that you’ll be the only one who can see it. If it really bothers you, I’d vote for the duplicate stitch. Hopefully you can do it and secure it well without making the reverse side look bad.

It’s beautiful.

I have never heard of doing a duplicate stitch in purling over a knit row. If anyone knows how to do this I’d like to learn. Can you point me in the right direction? I only know how to do duplicate stitch in knitting over knitting.

I have never heard of doing a duplicate stitch in purling over a knit row

Me either, is Ingrid around?

Thanks, everyone, for helping (and saying nice things about my scarf :slight_smile: ). I should have said “[I]some kind[/I] of duplicate st” because I don’t know if there’s such a thing either. You’re all right too… it’s not really that noticeable. I’ll just get over it. :teehee: I’d be interested though, to learn if there [I]is[/I] a st I could do that would mock a purl row.
Anyone?

I would never have noticed the mistake if you hadn’t marked it! The sweater is beautiful! Can you tell us where you found the pattern and yarn?

Actually, it’s a scarf, not a sweater… but thanks for the compliment! :muah: It doesn’t look like much on the pattern website, but I found a few other knitters who posted their FOs and it looks so great with variegated yarn. I’m using Manos del Uruguay silk blend. I’d knitted up a few other swatches and they looked terrible… color pooled or pattern got lost or whatever. Finally I found a pattern that the yarn loves…
http://www.craftown.com/knitpat3.htm

On the duplicate stitch - maybe the serpentine pattern of duplicate stitch would work with the knit side to the back and the purl bumps on the front. Maybe an embroidery style stem stitch securing it to the row below as you make the backwards loops to simulate the purl bumps. Hard to tell looking at the pic. If I’m all wrong here, please excuse.

But sometimes it better to just leave well enough alone.

The scarf is [U]lovely[/U] just as it is.

What a beautiful scarf!
IMHO, with the business of the colors and pattern it won’t be at all noticable. I think if it were mine, I would just leave it.

Thanks for giving us the particulars on the pattern and yarn you chose!

Thanks everyone… I decided to forge ahead and pretend it didn’t happen because I’m totally loving this scarf just as is. :happydance:

What a beautiful scarf so far. Please post pictures when you’re done. I’m interested in how it comes out now:cheering:

Ya know, it’s not really noticeable. I suppose if someone were [B]really[/B] studying the pattern they’d spot it. But just go ahead and pretend you meant to do that… :wink:

I definitely agree with everyone else… unless you know to look for the goof, you’d never spot it.

That said, for future reference [from Aunt Dot’s Fudge Pot]: there is a way to change a knitted row to purl sans frogging. It’s called drop a stitch down to the offending row, then work it back up the “ladder” back to your current row. It’s the only way, other than frogging, that I know.

Do that for each stitch in the row that needs to be corrected.

When you think of the amount of effort involved, this technique is feasible for 2-3 or so stitches; if you are dealing with a whole row of stitches, then Frogging suddenly looks a whole lot more do-able.

Dot

I absolutely love this scarf and wear it constantly. As far as the missed row goes, I just ignore the mistake and realized my perfectionistic side needs to take a backseat sometimes. :slight_smile:

That scarf is beautiful! :slight_smile:

Your scarf is absolutely gorgeous. Your are right about this pattern being a great use for yarn that tends to pool. Spin Off magazine featured this pattern on its cover in the Summer 2008 issue. Inside they showed the scarf knit up from 10 different handspun yarns in all different weights and colorways. Each and everyone was beautiful. I ended up making one from Noro Silk Garden Sock http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaidyd/2933936091/. I had to play/swatch some to find a width that I liked, but all in all it was a great knit and one that I will make again.

Oh wow! Your scarf is fantastic, kaidyddd. Thanks for sharing! It always amazes me how a single pattern can turn out so differently. Makes me want to knit it again! (I [I]would[/I] like one just a bit longer…) It’s neat to see so many versions of “my” scarf. :slight_smile: