Fair Isle/Marker question

Hi there,

I’m going to make my first attempt at stranding and am going to knit this ADORABLE hatfor my son. (He’s only 5 months old, so he has no say in how I dress him yet!)

I’ve read a lot of books and tutorials on Fair Isle, but there’s still a part of the pattern that confuses me. Mind you, I haven’t started knitting, so maybe it will make sense when I get there, but as I read through it, I’m stumped. :??

I’m not sure how to place the markers. The pattern reads:

“[I]Rounds 44-51[/I]: Switch to dpns. Place 9, 10 [11, 12, 13] markers before stitches shown in red in patt B. Begin patt B. K2tog before every marker except for the last row of patt. [7 dec rounds - 8 rounds total]”

[B]Pattern B[/B]

I don’t get it. Thanks!!

You’re placing your markers for the decreases at the top of the hat, and how many stitches between is based on the size of the hat.

Place the first marker to the right of the red stitch of the chart. The number of markers is based on the size you’re making. Take the number of stitches on your needle and divide it by the number of markers called for for your size and you should come up with the number of stitches between the markers.

If you don’t have locking markers, which can be placed into works in progress…and only have the ‘donut’ type…you can use safety pins, twist ties, pieces of scrap yarn, etc until you reach the point where you can insert the round ones. Positioning the markers, per Ingrid’s info, allows you to see, at a glance, that each one is where it should be before you start working the decs.

:figureditout: OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!

As I read the pattern, I just didn’t picture all the repeats, that’s why I couldn’t figure out where to put all 9 markers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :muah: